Rehearsal? *trigger?*

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by normaljoe, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

*triggering*

has anyone ever heard of this term? I was informed by my psychologist that it is not uncommon to go through the motions of a suicide attempt without actually doing it. making it almost second nature. I told him about my actions (not to be too specific) and he said it was common in suicidal patients. I just wanted other input. I just feel like a failure for it. and secondly does anyone find relief in writing suicide notes? (for lack of a better term) I tend to be eerily calm after writing one. not really thinking about anything. numb. comments? or reasons why?

sorry mod if this violates a rule, I read it over and edited it a bit to make it less taboo (?)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes i have heard of this term putting oneself in danger but not going through with it as with writing notes i think it helps to calm one by releasing the built up thoughts in ones mind so i can see how it would make one calmer

3. fishman

fishman Member

Yes I rehearse often. I often ask myself if I'm rehearsing just to increase the likelihood that I might accidentally slip and go all the way.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, no you have not violated a rule, you were simply just asking a valid question that your psychiatrist said was common.

To answer your question, without getting into methods, yes I have done this when I was feeling really bad. But so glad I didn't go that extra mile as I wouldn't be here now to tell you it is normal but keep SAFE. Writing out your thoughts would be a much better idea, but I do get the view point from the psychiatrist.
    :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.