Rejection. Rejection. Rejection. What was the point in Education?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hache

So I've just finished University.

All I am getting is rejection for jobs. Now I know everyone says competition is tough, it can take a long time, but my spirits are being broken by who is rejecting me. It is the most basic of roles, dare I say it the lowest for someone of my education. Both graduate schemes and normal jobs are rejecting me.

The normal jobs are quoting my lack of experience. Funny that, I can't get the job because I have no experience and I can't get experience because I can't get the job. These normal job roles are in my field. Lets assume there are 3 positions, mininum wage employee, unskilled, basic role. Then there are team leaders or assistant managers, then there are the managers. Now despite me degree I cannot even get considered for the middle one because of my lack of experience. What was the point of going to uni, it feels like it probably would have been easier to get a mininum wage position and slave away for 3 years in the hope of promotion. :dry:

I'm seeing figures in the press like 6 months after gruadating 10% are unemployed and 40% are in unskilled low paid no career positions.

I am not depressed anymore. But I was when I lived at home and worked mininum wage job. If that happens now having spent 3 years to rebuild myself getting a degree and social life I will crack badly.

I am going to crack very soon if I don't catch a break. Today I was rejected by my last real chance of getting a job in the town I went to uni in and therefore live with friends.

Looks like I am just another talentless moron who fell for Tony Blair's get the youth into higher education so they aren't unemployed Britain. I am also fed up with the hang in there, you'll be fine, the kind of bollocks that friends and people who care for you have to say because they don't really have anything else. Not that I am expecting anything else.

I also keep having nightmares, not like wake up scared one's, but in my sleep I keep getting the scenario where I end up with 2:2 on results day. If that happens I'll be more than pushed off the edge, that will damage my career and my pride after being in such a good position going into the final examinations. I'll collapse. 3 weeks until I get my results.

Oh well, its bad enough that my university life has ended, no longer with the people and independence that dragged me out of depression. It is only a matter of time before I fall back. I'm trying to keep busy, it works to an extent, thats all I can do right now, i'm just a sitting duck who could find himself in deep shit soon.

Rant over

:sigh:

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
ah the wonderful, you have no experience so we aint going to give you any! :dry:

Are there any firms doing internships?
Might be worth your while not getting paid but getting the experience for a few months.

Other than that, because everyone and its dog now has a degree, how about doing your masters?

Hache

I don't have the money to do a masters and they recommend having 2 years experience in my field before doing masters.

I'll probably have to try internships if I haven't found anything by mid August, but again money would be a problem :(

lachrymose27

I was told internships was THE way to get experience. Education really is crap, but some people care about the name of the degree on a resume... don't know why. I've taken internships before though and i've gotten no experience or tooooooooooooooooooooo little of it. Don't know how it can be helped im dealing with the same shit right now :/

I don't have the money to do a masters and they recommend having 2 years experience in my field before doing masters.

I'll probably have to try internships if I haven't found anything by mid August, but again money would be a problem :(

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Have a word with the job centre, you may be able to claim benefit as you won't be getting paid, they seem to have all this new shit going on with the benefits...probably cos no one can actually get a job in this shitty climate :dry:

ih8u

I was told internships was THE way to get experience. Education really is crap, but some people care about the name of the degree on a resume... don't know why. I've taken internships before though and i've gotten no experience or tooooooooooooooooooooo little of it. Don't know how it can be helped im dealing with the same shit right now :/
How many internships would be recommended? Upcoming college senior, also NY. Sorry for hijacking thread.

lachrymose27

Even if its just one internship, it would help. The internship must correlate to the job you are applying for otherwise employers will overlook it. I would settle for as many as I can... I've had bad experiences with internships so i don't do them anymore (but thats just me). Some people swear by it, like one of my relatives and friends. Good luck.

How many internships would be recommended? Upcoming college senior, also NY. Sorry for hijacking thread.

DawnB

Hache, the next year will be my last year, and I'm already terrified about my life after graduations as well as far as getting a job. It's pretty bad here in the US, and I'm already feeling the brunt of the lack of experience or overqualified status. I really hope you catch a break soon. :(

lachrymose27, I'm also told internships can help. I only had one internship, but unfortunately it did not go with my major. This was dad's doing, and I regret it. Moving on. I'd like to try out an internship that correlates to what I want to do, but I have too many classes to catch up on. And money is a huge problem as well.

lachrymose27

Internships only take interns if they are still Students. I applied for an internship a year'ish ago and they didn't take me because I wasn't a student anymore, stupid, right?

So, try to get it done before you graduate. You can do it.

lachrymose27, I'm also told internships can help. I only had one internship, but unfortunately it did not go with my major. This was dad's doing, and I regret it. Moving on. I'd like to try out an internship that correlates to what I want to do, but I have too many classes to catch up on. And money is a huge problem as well.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Heya, Hache. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding a job after graduating. The internships are a really good idea if you can get one. Also, you might be able to find a place that would let you "volunteer" in your field for a few months.

Also want to add that it's quite common where I am for new graduates to have to take the lowest-end job in their field for a little while. Degrees don't guarantee a job upon graduation anymore. However, if you take a low-end job, it shows employers you're willing to work your way up. The difference between the degree-holder and the person who works their way up without a degree is that the climb is usually faster and higher for the person who has a degree, even if that person had to start in a low-end job.

I hope you find something that you enjoy and find meaningful and fulfilling before too much longer. Thinking of you.

Hache

Thanks for all the support.

I had a telephone interview today with an agency. A lot of the questions were about experience. They will ring back in a few days to tell me whether or not they will pass my CV on to the employer to see if they want to interview me. So that is 3 jobs in total that I will know by Friday evening if I have been rejected. I expect the other 2 to be rejections because I haven't heard back, if I don't hear by Friday it is a no no.

As for internships, if you are in university now I guess you should try and volunteer somewhere once or twice a week. My understanding of internships is that they are more about networking and showing initiative on your CV. I hear a lot of them just have you make their coffee and staple their documents for them.

I think my job hunt is about luck... luck that no one good applys. I feel ok today because I got to the telephone interview, but it is a fine line because a rejection, especially that one after telephone interview would just make me feel even more shit about myself.

I know the job market is vicious, I know its tough, I know its not fair, but as I said in my original post it is who is rejecting me that is breaking me. Dozens and dozens are applying to 1 position, i've never been anything more than average so in this market, this age, I am going to have to get lucky and get a job no one else applied for.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Originally posted by Hache

My understanding of internships is that they are more about networking and showing initiative on your CV. I hear a lot of them just have you make their coffee and staple their documents for them.
The value of networking is getting to know people in the field. Those people become contacts for mentoring us, maybe giving us leads on future jobs, letting us know what is happening in general in the field. They also introduce us to more people in the field who then become contacts, and so on and so on...

Even if it means making coffee (or as I experienced, making photocopies all day - ugh!), an internship can still be worthwhile. While we do an internship, we get to learn how one firm fits into the field. And we can add it to the résumé or CV as "experience".

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Hache. I hope you hear good news this week.

Hache

I got another rejection this morning.

This was for a normal job not a graduate one, but low pay, barely any skill or career.

I'm now accepting that I cannot get a position that isn't designed for a graduate. The graduate applications and jobs available will die down and end in August, if I haven't secured a grad position by then I'm buggered and have no choice but to work as if I have no education at all, nevermind a £20,000 one.

I also hear the government plan on making mininum wage workers pay back their student loans, if that happens when i'm in a position like that i'm immigrating and refusing to send money back because they got me in this mess.

Hache

Just receieved another rejection today saying that I don't have the skills and experience compared to the other candidates... this is for a graduate position, wtf.

Hache

3 new rejections this morning.

1 I expected because I fucked the application up. The other 2 said they'd be in touch by today otherwise I'd failed.

It's only 10am so possibly more rejections to come this afternoon. Maybe not, either way now I have nothing this weekend and just have to wait til monday morning to see what happens.

Oh and i'm up to 48 job applications.

A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody - JF Kennedy

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan

Tried volunteering? Often doing voluntary work gives you experience and employers will look more closely those who volunteer, it shows good workmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00