Relapse and Urges

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Zeldcat, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeldcat

Zeldcat Member

Hi I'm new here (obviously). My psychiatrist told me that the last thing to go is my urges. I've been getting them really strongly lately for absolutely no reason at all. It's not that I actually want to die... I just feel like I HAVE to swallow a bunch of pills to feel alright again... Any advice or anything will be much appreciated.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The urges are a "comfortable place" - a well worn habit of a place to go to when things look at all stressful. For many it is a safety valve of sorts that reminds them they "have a way out" if it gets too hard. Urges are less of an issue than acting on urges obviously. It is like alcoholics or drug addicts that have recovered - the urge is not the problem - just knowing you do not have to act on it is what matters ....

I am glad you are getting professional help plus found us here for additional support.
  3. Zeldcat

Zeldcat Member

They're becoming impulsive and I'm trying to stop myself but I can't because I have to do it
  4. LostInMyDaydreams

LostInMyDaydreams Well-Known Member

Hello, just wanted to Welcome you to the Forum. :)

This place is very helpful and sure you'll find lots of support on here!

You're in my thoughts.
  5. justsomegirl

justsomegirl Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, I hope you find comfort and support here. As NYJmpMaster said, it's a comfort thing; that action is associated with "feeling better". Maybe talk to your psychiatrist and brainstorm some different self-soothing activities? Good luck, and welcome again!
  6. SuicideSam

SuicideSam Banned Member

Hi and welcome to SF Zeld, I hope you can overcome the urges and stay safe buddy
  7. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Only natural Zeldcat - we all have urges whether it be alcohol cigarettes or whatever - with me it is self harming which is a coping mechanism for me so yours is no less important than anyone else's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.