relationship with people with EDs

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by plates, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plates

plates Well-Known Member

has anyone been in a relationship with a person who has an ED? anorexia, bulimia, BED, or anything else? and they have an ED themselves?

what did they notice in their relationship? what was the dynamic?
  2. sTEPHbUD

sTEPHbUD Member

I haven't been in a relationship with someone who has an ED. Neither have I been in a relationship with someone during my ED.

But I know of some people who have, most of their partners were very supportive of their eating disorders, maybe they didn't know how to help?
  3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

thanks for your reply.

what do you mean by your last line? it isn't that clear.
    do you mean they supported their ED with or without knowing it, or they encouraged the other to get help, or they did both and didn't know what the hell they were doing?

when you mean supportive, do you mean- did they encourage the other person to die?

or do you mean, they offered help in terms of trying to build on the others support system, internally and externally so the person with the ED didn't resort to the ED with such intensity?
  4. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

I have quite a few friends that also struggle with EDs. I have 1 that has almost completely recovered and the rest are like me, struggling but really trying. With all of them we support each other in positive ways. We're all in agreement that if one of us "goes down the rabbit hole" that we may have to separate until the other gets well enough to support recovery. However, if someone is struggling I will support them and encourage them to help themselves until it is efecting my own recovery.

I hope this answered your question
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.