Relaxing Music

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by JV3, Jun 11, 2014.

1. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

One thing that I still do today when I get a little stressed, anxious, or depressed is listen to very relaxing music. If I'm driving I turn the volume just loud enough to hear it well, but not too loud as to block my thoughts out. I use the music somewhat as a "white noise" to clear my head and begin to think of good things, maybe even get a little nostalgic about some good memories. Sometimes I just think of nice thoughts and scenery.

I think everyone has their own concepts of relaxing music; so, you've got to find what's right for you. I personally like a lot of instrumental stuff - both orchestrated and electronic. My favorite group to listen to in this regard is "Boards of Canada." It's electronic and very trippy, but it really takes me away to a more peaceful place when I need to.

It's a simple idea, but it can really help keep you calm in a moment when your mind is telling you otherwise.

2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

if you don't mind, i'd love you to share with me other artists that you listen to.

seeing as i need some more relaxation music for my folder

i'll check that group out you mentioned though.

thanks

3. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy to. I'll even be a little more specific as to which albums.

As I said before, my favorite relaxing listen is a group called Boards of Canada. It's mostly just tranquil, electronic music. Here are the albums that I would recommend:

The Campfire Headphase
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Music Has The Right To Children
    Trans Canada Highway

Another electronic album I like is "Surfing on Sine Waves" by Aphex Twin. It's a bit trippier than Boards of Canada but still works well for me.

I also really like to listen to the soundtracks for the movies "Donnie Darko" and "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (American version)." Both have some darker-sounding stuff that I basically deleted from my playlist so I could listen all the way through, but the majority of both albums is a good listen.

I don't particularly recommend a lot of stuff with lyrics because that gets more into personal preference, but I will say Enya can be very relaxing.

That should be a good start! Hope you enjoy it. If not, I totally understand. I find that I have an odd taste in music sometimes.

4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I recommend hang music, relaxing music and very much a chilled out tune.

5. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I thought of one I left out. This one is going to sound a bit odd, but one of my all-time favorite instrumental albums is Blue Man Group's "Audio."

6. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

Good thread.

This is something I do. I have created a relaxation playlist... in consists entirely of video game background music. In my case, the calmer slower stuff works.... I am not going to put in the final battle fate of the world set the mood songs in there.

7. emily83

i hate myself at the moment.

i've been wanting to see donni darco for, what, for ages. it was on last week, and i only realised it after it had broadcast (about 8 or so hours after)

thanks for the suggestions, i do agree that enya are relaxing and today i'm going to see what i can find of boards of canada

8. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can get Spotify or not. It's basically a free, endless music library (with advertisements) but you can access pretty much anything from there. I know for a fact they have everything I listed and much, much more.

Here's the US site. https://www.spotify.com/us/

9. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I do something very similar! I've got a a playlist that has songs from games, movies, and anime all in it.

Definitely understand the "final battle" music thing, too. I laughed so much when I read that.

10. emily83

i'll look in to it, but yes, i believe we can get spotify here

thanks

11. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Dan Gibson and the Solitudes are incredible. He combines music with the sounds of nature. Very soothing. May be hard to find though, as it is pretty old stuff. Check under "New Age" music.

12. KrystalKastles

KrystalKastles New Member

I happen to find King Crimson fairly soothing.As well a Cat Power and many other groups.Zen music as well.

13. echo

echo Member

[video=youtube_share;ZVITZUQ_uIU]http://youtu.be/ZVITZUQ_uIU[/video]