Religion.....serious subject

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by bhawk, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

The whole point of this thread is that i worry with many of us on here being unstable that it is the perfect grounds for manipulating people, into abusive situations, into religion etc, i think there should be a section for religion to which people can go if they are looking, but otherwise i think any 'attempt' of conversion, any manipulation to any organisation etc should not be allowed. we come here to talk freely with others about our feelings, being tolds constantly to look for god is, if anything, a unwanted distraction to our problems.
    also when these religious people make nothing but pressumptions and have not and are not in situations like anyone here it is advice that has no basis on how it really is, also very offensive!
    feel free to debate:wink:

2. ItThing

ItThing Well-Known Member

It's a belief system, man! Limiting the rights of active believers on the forum is like banning a language, or a gender!
    If you see someone that's bothering and pestering everyone then they should have their posts limited and monitered. If people are spamming or bullying other people about their beliefs or acting inappropriately in any way then they should be punished. But the topic itself should not be a reason to punish them. I find some believers on the site to be obnoxious, yes, but that's because they're obnoxious people - not because they're religious.

3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

but due to their religion some people find it 'righteous' to try convert any they can, i think offering false hope in a persons time of need should not be done, religion should not be pressed on people, im not bothered if people go looking for it though.
    the main thing i would like is just religion to be in its own area, not thrust in front of people who are seeking their own answers.
    i do not care about people talking about it, its when vulnerable people are told persistently to 'look for god' and to 'have faith in god' 'take up religion'
    this is not a recruiting ground, this is a suicide forum!

4. ItThing

If someone is bothering you, tell them so or report them. We're big kids, we can make our own decisions. We don't need you to defend us, you're just making up an excuse why everyone who believes different than you about religion should shut up. If SF ever does something like what you say - forcing everyone of a certain opinion to keep it to themselves, then it is no longer neutral or fair, and I for one would never post on it again.

5. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i am pointing out that religion should have its own section, it seems more sensible that way, if we want to look for religion we will, but having religion thrust on you is not nice. religious people do not have to shut up, but merely consider people dont want to hear about their god all the time.
    many people on here are vulnerable, surely they should have a place were religion is not thrust upon them.
    many religions create guilt, added to the guilt people already suffer it could well be a bad concoction

6. ari

ari Staff Alumni

I have moved this to the proper section for religion to be discussed in. Things of this nature belong in the "Soap Box". If you have any questions or problems feel free to write it in the ltm or pm me.
    ari

7. ItThing

You don't have to like everything everyone says but you can't tell them not to write it. Believing in a religion and or reffering to it is not against SF rules, is not something that is intended to bother anyone, and is not anyone else's business. I am against members telling eachother what to do, or forcing their opinions on eachother, however I have never seen anyone do that in a religious debate on the site! Generally, believers on the site treat nonbelievers politely and with respect, and usually don't even bring it up unless it has to do with the discussion. So I don't see why religious members in general bother you, and if there is one specific member who bothers you, name them!
    As for having a religious section in the forum, that is an excuse to shut them up, because if there was one, then everytime a member mentioned god or church or faith at all then they'd be abused and told to go to 'their own forum'. The site is as it should, everyone voicing their opinions politely and respectfully on any thread they want.

8. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

bollocks! just because their is a religious section would not mean people would be told to go there if they as much as mention religion. if i were to mention self harm in another section i would not be instantly refferred on to the self harm section, as long as what i was talking about included the self harm, but to tell people to believe in and have faith in god is not always helpful and is thrusting it in peoples faces.
    religious members themselves do not bother me, it is having religion thrust in my face that bothers me.
    on such a forum were many people are looking for their own answers to offer religion as the answer is nothing short of attempting conversion.
    i merely think religion should not be pushed on people who are suicidal, is that not fair?

9. ItThing

Of course its fair when you put it that way but tell me, who is pushing? I've never seen a religious member do the things you're talking about. Besides, it's perfectly fine to offer converstion in a respectful way.

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

im not going to say names as i dont think its fair to point the finger.
    i have seen it a couple of times and sincerely feel its not fair especially when people are at their weakest point.

11. ItThing

If someone's doing something wrong report them, there's nothing else you can do about it.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Am I one of the religious 'pushers' that you're referring to bhawk? That was never my intention though.

13. *takes number and stands in line*

:yes:

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to convert me to any religion. Although I guess there are many vulnerable people here, I'm not really sure to what degree they're any more vulnerable to religious conversion than anyone else. Obviously, religion has converted gazillions of people who didn't appear to be vulnerable in the same way that you would say a suicidally depressed individual is vulnerable.

Although, if a person is looking for some meaning in life and they find it in religion, even though I'm not a believer, I find it hard to say that would be worse than them killing themselves. Everybody has to find a reason to go on living. I would prefer they find something other than religion but if it saves some lives, maybe it's worth it?

15. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm starting to push Pastafarianism. Mostly, its about pirates and spaghetti. And petitioning the Kansas school board to allow the teaching, or at least mentioning, that the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) is the creator of the universe.

Noodle theory shall be proven correct!

16. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

While I don't believe I've seen any pushing of religion onto anyone so far I do find the odd few posts claiming that "You need too find God" or "Accept God/Jesus into your life" as though its some magic bullet to cure depression or as though everyone who isn't a shining beacon of happiness is obviously an Athiest to be quite pathetic.

17. blinky

blinky Active Member

Alternatively people may find offense to comments stating there is no God. If there's one important thing I've learned in life it's that you can't at any point please absolutely everyone with anything. This is why being politically correct was born, but personally I hate political correctness, this is just adding frustration to people. being politically correct itself can be offensive, so it's just pointless. Comments are I'm sure more often than not well meaning, and if I was told something about God I would find it helpful to me. I don't think people can be converted anyway, I think these comments are aimed at people who might find use in them. an atheist finds no use in it, just offense at the mere mention of God, and so there never really is any "conversion" happening, peoples minds are more or less set, they just stray once in awhile from either extreme. any number of things can offend everyone, but censorship is not the answer I don't think. Lets just be understanding. I wanna be able to post my problems or encourage others without much worry if what I'm saying will offend certain people, because what I say could be helping people. Not saying I"ve used those sort of lines - I havent - but if i wanted to say something like, God has purpose for all of us even if we cant see it, then why can't i? I can't see how that can be offensive

^Sorry couldn't be bothered with much formatting there

18. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

There is nothing wrong with eplaining a problem through a religious point of view. If you arent aloud to talk about religion in that sense then you shouldnt be allowed to say that god isnt real (which I see happening ALL the time, yet noone is allowed to object), they are both equal opinions.

19. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I have read past posts (Pastafarians rock) about religious & other proselytizing, one in particular i found offensive & ran to try have it deleted. it was, but it was a no-win. a religion section of the forum would i guess be used but the soapbox seems like a good place for most knee-jerk reaction subjects and the mods do their bit by monitoring harassment, abuse etc. issues. fwiw

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  20. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

How can people use this section if they arent allowed to fully express their opinions. We are allowed to freely bash creationism and advertise athiesm yet as soon as someone with a christian point of view makes a comment they get attacked, biased much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.