Religion/Trolls

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Confusticated, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

It's really annoying me that so many people come here and offer religion as "a way out". It's happened alot since I've been here, and I wish it would stop. Why do people have to come here and force their religious views on such vulnerable people? Why do they come here to "recruit" followers? Are they that cold hearted as to not care about how people feel, as to manipulate everyone into joining them? And whatever their proof is, it's always contradicting anyway! Urgh.. sorry, I don't want to be a hater, but I am. I hate these people.. please just.. stop?

2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i do agree but to a point.

i have no problem with people praying for others.

but thats as seriously religious as it should be. save your beliefs for the public diarys i say

3. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

At least you're honest XD

Not everyone is trolling, but I agree that too many people try and recruit through this site.
    Those who don't realise why this is a bad thing need to really think before they post about their religion on here.

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

This goes both ways though... They just have a specific structure to what they believe will help people. Though there are many others who are not religious who have similar methods. It's just people offereing their views of help. Sometimes religion can be very extreme in it's ways of "helping" people, but so are non religious "methods".

Everyones entitled to their own opinons

5. Confusticated

I understand that, and I'm for people having their own opinions, but seriously, take a look around the forum. People are literally recruiting here. They make religion seem like the only alternative, and it shouldn't be that way. It's just like me going to someone homeless and saying, hey you can have a roof over your head if you join my religion.

Have your own opionion by all means, just don't force it on others.

6. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Seems its not so much that you disagree with religion as such so much as you disagree with people bribing others into sharing their beliefs?

.. or maybe I'm completely wrong. Meh.
    x)

7. Confusticated

Pretty much. If someone want's to follow a religion, I'm not going to stop them, and I'm not going to force my views onto them to make them stop "believing", yet alot (not all) of religious people try to use religion as a way to recruit. It's just really annoying me..

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

That's somewhat the problem with some religions. In order to discuss it, you must meet the requirements, you must do or accept something inorder to recieve its "help". Comes off very much as recruiting, but I don't know if it is. It's how it was designed(in my opinon) and if someone wants to talk about it, they would appear to be recruiting. Though.. some religious people are .. aggressive. And that's not what many need. I think it's about how you present your views vs the views themselves.

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

When I look around the forum I actually see more members pushing their "anti" religion than the other way around. the ones that seem to get the most angry are those trying to convince others that their religious beliefs are wrong. So, yeah, I guess it is a matter of your point of view. Remember I am not sayng this is how it is. I am saying this is how I see it.

10. Confusticated

I just want you to know that I'm not trying to tell people they're wrong for having their beliefs, I hyst get frustrated when their beliefs are tried to be forced upon me. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

11. necrodude

ok off subject but what are trolls/trolling? i know the mythological creatures, and the weird nude dudes with neon hair but not the ones on here. anybody explain it to me?

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

You know I don't know the answer to that really. I just know it's always used for people who want to start arguments.

The actual connection between the troll under the bridge kinda eludes me. Were trolls total pricks?

13. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with religious people seeking out new members here..IF there isn't a money requirement ( big red flag).Always have to watch out for predators too.But overall,i.e. a christian seeking out people who may want to learn more about Jesus etc..well why not?No one is forcing them...no arms are twisted..and the sincere ones actually DO want to help with other's despair.There are many ways to cope in this world with despair and isolation and even religion has so many levels and sects that many people do find what is right for them.People have to know what they believe and what their own convictions are.

14. Confusticated

Not sure why the term is refered to as "trolling" I think it's because they were supposed to be creatures that could storm in and cause an unhappy and negative atmosphere? *shrugs*

15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The trolls are what we call those whose sole purpose of coming to the forum are to cause hurt to the members here. They think it is funny to try and push people over the edge.

Red Tears of Ice- I understood what you were trying to say and I have to agree. If someone wants to share their beliefs, I really don't mind. What I dislike is when, as you stated, they try to force them on me. I can listen to them and make up my own mind. Just don't tell me the way I have to believe. I was in no way offended by your thoughts :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  16. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

I believe its actually a term taken from fishing.
    "Trolling" is what you call it when you draw the bait or lure slowly through the water.
    (Edit: I wasn't very clear.. but I mean you'll need to think of it figuratively. I don't suppose I'm making much sense XD)
    But then, I could be wrong x)

17. Confusticated

Gentlelady - I just wanted to be sure xP

Rayne - You're normally right so probably are now too x]

18. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Because they sincerely believe they are doing "god's will" so to speak. They are stupid indeed, but cold hearted..i don't think so. I think they have good intentions at heart but are just grossly misguided.

It's hard to get mad at someome for being a moron.

19. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Opening a thread about your religion, how it has helped you, and how you think you can help others... I think is a very positive thing. What is shoved down your throat? Just don't open the thread if you don't believe in similar things. Besides, how can anything be talked about without bringing your beliefs into it? We give each other advice all the time. Our beliefs about what would make another person happy or how they might overcome someone always come into play.

But I do know those people who sign on... post maybe two things about religion and leave. Or leave a website along with it and then leave. That can be annoying just as any other spam can.

I agree

Why is someone a moron who believes they are doing God's will?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  20. necrodude

still confused by "trolls" but starting to understand why the term is used. oh and blake mythological trolls werent pricks. we humans just dont like being at the top of the food chain