Religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Hi all. After reading the athiest post, it got me to wondering what religion you all are.

I for one, im not athiest but yet i have no religion. I just dont know what or who to believe. I would love to have a religion (i see my friends that go to church each week, other friends that pray each day) and i'd love to have that feeling of trust and happiness they get from it.
But you hear so many stories and different theories that its hard to know what to believe.

smackh2o

SF Supporter
i look at them all and they all have good bits and bad bits. Just nick all the good bits and your sailing :)

I do have a bit of an affinity with spiritualism as my gran practises it, but i'm a sceptic all the same.
Maybe you should believe in yourself like the Taoists do?

R

reborn1961

I am Christian. As far as finding your religion I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. If you want fellowship (ie meeting at a church etc) then perhaps visit various religions and see what you think. As far as faith goes, that comes from the heart. You don't always have to go looking for faith, it will often find you. Good luck.

S

SeemsPerfect

I was raised Methodist in a Christian household. However, I've always respected what others believe.

I've attended the following services:

-Catholic
-Mormon
-Jehovah's Witness
-Baptist
-Non-Denominational

I want to attend a Jewish and Muslim service next, followed by other services. I just like being exposed to different outlooks. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But I always learn something new.

I've found that there are SIGNIFICANTLY more similarities than differences in all of them, which is why religious divisions are so stupid. So, these days I'm a spiritual person, rather than a religious one.

God-Allah-Buddah-Etc. --- You reach different people through different means. We don't all learn and respond the same. Personally, I believe in the Holy Trinity (God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit). HOWEVER, I do not believe in joining one particular church and listening to one particular church leader who's probably more f/cked up than I am. Not to mention their blatant hypocrisy.

EDIT: I will say, though, that there is a cathedral in the mountains of Ecuador that I walked into and felt a peace I have NEVER experienced before in my life. No priests. No fakers. Just purity. I really miss that place. :sad:

Last edited:
T
seemsperfect: wow! thats the best answer ive heard. you know thats such a good idea. i am always digging for information from my friends on what its like and how they see things and such. it would be good to actually go along with them all and see for myself!

S

SeemsPerfect

thats the best answer ive heard. you know thats such a good idea.
Wow...thanks.

Hey, it doesn't hurt to check it out. I like the Bible studies more than anything. It's funny how one book can be interpreted in so many different ways. It's a learning experience, though.

Good luck w/ your search for info and everything!

Esmeralda

Hi Sara! I'm Catholic and that feeling SeemsPerfect descriped about walking into the cathedral, that's how I felt when I walked into the Vatican. Good luck on your search!

S

SeemsPerfect

That's definitely cool. Seems like one of those places that everyone could learn something from.

Esmeralda

I was incredible. The minute I walked in I was just thinking...oh, so THIS is where God lives. It was pretty overwhelming. I actually just got married there almost 2 years ago and it was the most spiritual experience of my life.

F

Freddy

Hi all. After reading the athiest post, it got me to wondering what religion you all are.

I for one, im not athiest but yet i have no religion. I just dont know what or who to believe. I would love to have a religion (i see my friends that go to church each week, other friends that pray each day) and i'd love to have that feeling of trust and happiness they get from it.
But you hear so many stories and different theories that its hard to know what to believe.
Have you looked into comparative religion studies?

*One note of caution. You should watch out for cults and understand cult tactics when they try it on you. Theres some good info over the net on cult recruitment tactics and myths about cults.

I use to investigate numerous religions myself and ran into a number of cults. I was almost recruited a few times but kept my sanity by visiting more than one group at a time so I wasnt pulled into their thinking too much. The multi polarization kept me grounded.

Cults seem to attack you using logic, double speak, semantics and various coercion and pressure tactics, justification tactics etc. And they also attack you from a an emotional level using "love bombing", fear tactics, guilt, social conformity etc.
From my experience with cults I think most of the population are pretty vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00