Religion

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by aoeu, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Any flamebait will be immediately reported. Please do not flamebait.

I'm looking for religion. Any thoughts?

2. Robin

Robin Guest

Buddhism :) They don't start wars and they ask you to question everything, even the Bhudda :)

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Do you know where I could find good information on Buddhism?

4. Robin

Robin Guest

I find everything on buddhism via stumbleupon lol .. there's tons

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

A religion for philosophers :D nice!

-toddles off-

6. Robin

Robin Guest

There is that but it has more heart than thought, be mindful get hugs .. that sort of thing :) And most zen masters like tea! so it must be good :biggrin:

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

What are you looking to get from religion? I've explored quite a few, and gotten different messages out of them all. And even in religion there are tons of ways to interpret things.
    There are those churches and books that are all feel good and no substance.
    And there are those that are very to the point and are more about the nature of existence than the "be a good person" books.

For a book about the nature of existence that is very too the point I would go with A Course In Miracles. It's Christian and it's confirmed things I've known to be true for my whole life.

Buddhism is pretty to the point and practical as well. There are tons of books out there on buddhism. They all say similar things. I would just suggest getting an intro to buddhism book or if you want to delve right into it, the Tibetan Book of the Dead is the equivalent of the Christian Holy Bible I'm pretty sure.

As far as new age religion goes. Authors such as David Icke and Stuart Wild are great to start with. They have websites too http://davidicke.com, http://stuarwilde.com.
    The david icke forum on the website is quite interesting too. It goes from religion to conspiracy theories to aliens.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope you find something interesting in it :heart:

8. Robin

Robin Guest

Wow, Icke's still going, what a crackpot lol

9. fromthatshow

awe I love Icke.
    Can't say he's got a bad message though. "Infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion."

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Yea but I saw a clip where he said the blood of blue eyed blonde haired people had great helath benefits, as I'm blonde and blue eyed I think I'll keep my distance lol

11. fromthatshow

:eek:hmy:
    goodness that's a little unnerving

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I want to feel something different... Something I can't feel right now.

13. fromthatshow

Try everything until you find a place to call home.
    The church I am involved with now, when we talk to each other, I always here... I grew up Catholic, searched for a while, and now I am home. Don't stop until you feel you're home. And you will find it.
    :heart:

14. Robin

Robin Guest

Some people find the answers in religion, for many it's a quick fix, everyone is different and everyone will be moved by different things. The good thing about some religions is alot of clever people have been thinking how best to serve mankind for thousands of years, there's a lot of well thought out wisdom but is often concealed in dogma. That's why I like Buddhism, the first thing it teaches is not believe blindly in anything it offers, ask questions, feel your way through it. Enlightenment is not a reward for the faithful but a path to leading a good life, if you want to lead a good life however quiet your passing may be afterwards then I think it's an attractive start :)

15. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

If you are interested in Buddhism check out any of the books written by the Dalai Lama. Two that I've found really interesting are-Ancient Wisdom Modern World and Transforming the Mind. Hope you find what you're looking for.:smile:

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm reading about Buddhism. I'm amazed how closely it matches my personal philosophy.

I'm not decided on suffering of animals, though. I'm far, far more concerned with the suffering of humans. I'll have to think on it.

I think meditation might bring about the feeling I'm looking for.

To be perfectly honest, Buddhism was the second thing to come to mind, and what I was thinking of when I started this thread, but I didn't want to bias the responses. I do like the Judeo-Christian tradition, but my history with it is far too complicated... Family and such.

17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My agnostic sensibilities are getting in the way, somewhat. I like the ethics especially, but I'm not sure how metaphysical I can get. I think the Enlightenment path is the feeling I'm looking for. I will continue to try this; I had a breathing session earlier today, and that was... interesting. Very interesting, very peaceful.

18. Robin

Robin Guest

You don't have to get serious with religion :) The Spanish Inquisiation got serious and look how that turned out :mad:

19. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Agrees with Fromthatshow on this one.
    Was raised in a home where one parent was C of E, one parent raised catholic but has his own faith which does not include any set religion, one jewish grandparent, one spiritualist grandparent.
    Was allowed my head on religious matters tho attended a C of E school and then a catholic school.
    Loved synagogue which I used to go to with my grandfather but home was always catholicism. It's what fits you best.
    Dabbled in spiritualism, buddhism, mormon but always came back to catholicism. Doesn't mean its the only religion just the right one for me. :smile:

20. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

It really depends what kind of thing you're looking for. It could be worth trying a few things out and seeing what is right for you .. me personally I was involved in Christianity for a number of years and it helped me a lot, Buddhism has some fairly sound principles as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.