Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kaos General, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ok then, going non by what someone has just said heres my thread. And going by his rules i want no criticism from anyone. Apparantly its not allowed.

Religion is false

Thats is all
  2. Rowan

Rowan Banned Member

I completely agree with you.
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I always wanted to be a Paladin. Wayne, can you make me one?
  4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Yes I agree it is false, for a myriad of reasons.

Why don't so many people realize this?

Thinking is hard!
  5. Kaos General

A warrior of the holy light, hmmmm inmteresting
  6. Kaos General

This is how i see religion, a preacher, imaam, rev. etc. they are the holy drug dealers. Peddling their addiction and brainwashing millions in the process. You tell anyone addicted to them and they will get angry for what they see as you attacking them personally. Religion is a hard habit to kick.

I mean at the minute look at the catholic church, its rife with child molesters and these are apparently gods messengers. Well if thats gods work then they can keep it
  7. Kaos General

Im just wondering of the point of religion on a suicide forum?

Doesnt nearly every religion state that suicide is wrong? Just a thought
  8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Religion has always been something for the lost and confused people to seek. It's like a blanket. It gives you a false sense of security. It tells you what you want to hear.

A person has the right to believe in whatever he wants. But when they force their belief in me, that's when i fight back.
  9. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

Hey, I was on that board as well and read through the interaction. To be fair, religion is just another way that people get through the day. No one is wrong or stupid because the fact is that we simply dont know a right or wrong to this. Instead, we all have to rely on our own experiences. Yours have not put you in a place where you believe in or support religion (presented on the forum) while hers do (and there tends to be a push in such circles to evangelize). If believing in some kind of higher power can help a person cope with life, thats great. So is NOT believing in that to cope. Its seems like its just a matter or respect and leaving each other to our own understandings, and hoping that we do get something positive from one another.
    Lalala, rainbows, butterflies, and ponies too for good measure~
  10. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have no faith in the supernatural but up to a few years ago I still did. I have been in perpetual despair and suicidal since, among other circumstances becoming a lapsed Catholic so my faith absolutely gave me hope and resulted in better mental health. Was my better emotional health based on false hope and a mass delusion? Maybe, but I was far stronger and more stable.

Most of my friends are in similar struggles and for a couple of them losing their faith and prayer would mean losing the the most important part of their lives. There is tremendous evil and cruelty performed in the name of all religions but it is performed by individual deviants (perv priests) and minority groups following radical interpretations of their faith. I hope I can believe in a religion again someday.
  11. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

unfortunately religion doesnt want to leave people to there own devices, in that religion wants to propergate it's self and commands follwers to preach and convert those who dont believe to their way of thinking...I could care less what people choose to believe..what I do care about is people trying to put their beliefs on me or trying to make their beliefs influence society...I wouldnt have a problem with reiligion if people just kept their believes to them selves and stop trying to brain wash and convert children and the like..
  12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I disagree, on the grounds that religion is not exclusive to deities and mythical allegory, but by conviction alone, and all of our convictions are religions in themselves, including the religions of science, math, conscience, lifestyle, and other parts of our lives which we follow religiously.

Whatever gives you hope.
  13. Prinnctopher's Belt

Also, by the same objective measure that "religion is false," morality and value are just as invalid.
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

So no.

Science is not - and math is even less so - a system of giving meaning to the world we live in. Math is just toying with logical systems, it is not inherently even relevant to reality! The relevant math all finds its way into other fields; ComSci and physics specifically get a lot.

Science is also not interested in any handing out of meaning. Science is purely a methodology that is widely accepted as the best methodology to sort out what is objectively true and what is not. All the products of science (all the stuff you learn in science classes) is up for debate as far as the scientific method is concerned.
  15. Prinnctopher's Belt

or more in general a set of beliefs explaining the existence of and giving meaning to the universe, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Yes. My statement is affirmed.
  16. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I find it very hard to believe in a God that would let my child suffer such pain and then take his own life...
    sorry if this offends anyone....
  17. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

There's sanity in numbers. You find one man eating a cracker and drinking wine then calling it the body and blood of God, you would probably write him off as crazy. When millions of people around the world do it, it's religion.

Honestly, I understand why it makes people feel better about things no one really feels good about. Believing the most powerful being to ever exist has you as his number one priority will do that for you. But I can't imagine how our successors are going to look back on us thousands of years from now. We scoff at the witch hunts, voodoo, how people could have believed in craziness like Amon Ra, Zeus and a bunch of gods living on Mount Olympus but are we really that much better? People that believed in invisible beings in the sky. Invisible? Really?
  18. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

The problem isn't religion it is man.
  19. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I agree Hache. It all begins with choice.
  20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Please read my statement next time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.