Ideas & Opinions Religions, beliefs, faith, the universe and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Star

Although I feel there's some truth in every one of the world's five major religions, there isn't one religion or denomination that I particularly adhere to or identify with.

The following excerpt is the last paragraph of a book called Origin by Dan Brown (author of The Da Vinci Code):

"Upstairs in the main sanctuary, having said his good-byes to Father Beña, Langdon lingered awhile, seated peacefully in a pew, along with hundreds of others, all watching the colorful rays of light creep along the towering pillars as the sun slowly set.
He thought about all the religions of the world, about their shared origins, about the earliest gods of the sun, moon, sea, and wind.
Nature was once the core.
For all of us.
The unity, of course, had disappeared long ago, splintered into endlessly disparate religions, each proclaiming to be the One Truth.
Tonight, however, seated inside this extraordinary temple, Langdon found himself surrounded by people of all faiths, colors, languages, and cultures, everyone staring heavenward with a shared sense of
wonder ... all admiring the simplest of miracles.
Sunlight on stone.
Langdon now saw a stream of images in his mind—Stonehenge, the Great Pyramids, the Ajanta Caves, Abu Simbel, Chichén Itzá—sacred sites around the world where ancients had once gathered to watch the very same spectacle.
In that instant, Langdon felt the tiniest of tremors in the earth beneath him, as if a tipping point had been reached ... as if religious thought had just traversed the farthest reaches of its orbit and was now circling back, wearied from its long journey, and finally coming home."

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Most of my life I investigated and studied beliefs and religions as I was curious to the God everyone was talking about.
I still have not found him or her. I have to conclude that with my current evidence and experience there is no God and that none of the religions are true.
If there is no God, then there is no original creator.
If that is the case then there is no beginning and probably no end to everything.
This means there really is only one thing and that is everything, which includes yourself, me and the cat.
Life and Death now becomes one thing, death becomes change within everything as does life.
~

As far as I can see, religion and God was invented to answer the 3 fundamental question we all have early in our lives.
1) Who am I?
2) Where am I going?
3) Will I find parking when I get there?

but what if there is no God, there is no holy book and there is no after life, what are the answers to these questions then?

1) You are who you want to be.
2) You should constantly pursue happiness.
3) Enjoy being happy or at the very least enjoy being content. If you are not happy then start pursuing happiness. Sometimes just the pursuit of happiness will make you happy.

The above are words to myself, my own experiences and my own realizations. :) Have a nice day.
I think many others are looking for God also. I am going to take a chance and post a link to hundreds of people who found the answers to those questions. They found the answers in moments of trauma and disasters. Out of chaos comes order. I was one of them. Hope this post is OK. I try to be a careful poster.

As promised hundreds of NDEs.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
when looking for god or a god or God, one has to consider what is meant by that terminology. is it “origin” or “creator” ? “supreme entity”? way to be? what are the expectations in finding this apparently variable yet highest form of existing entity? there are so many suggestions and promises and virtues and all have been described by humans or humans claiming that what they say is the word of that supreme thing. one needs faith, or enough scientific thinking to be able to come up with enough of a satisfying thought to determine that the questions have ruled out question. i am not sure that that is available here on earth as we experience it as what we know as life.

in my own search i have satisfied myself that i at least will not know answers during my earthly lifetime. it means i will remain curious all my life. for myself i attempt to be scientific about this and have not been able to rule out “purpose” as the reason i am here. i thus do believe that i have purpose. i have a degree of satisfaction because of this. i also observe and do my best to adhere to what appears to be universally accepted as being good - to the best of my ability.

being able to believe that i have purpose to me validates the existence of states of the “supreme” that are not immediately or even ever visible and perceivable on earth, in this lifetime. and thus is verification of maybe there are reasons beyond mere accident for existence.

considering this state over and over during many years, i have not been able to satisfy myself with the belief in “born, live, die, the end” though i’ve alway had leanings toward that. i just cant believe that in a universe as full as this appears to be, that there is no purpose. i feel confident about that.

yet i don’t think there are any religions on earth that have come up with a good confirmable idea - regardless of how many people live by any particular religious mindset.

thus a large part of me is in eager anticipation of what i will learn about it once my earthly body dies. many people suggest that by being this way i am exhibiting a mental illness. but i am not rushing into death. my life here/now does provide for me much torment but i do try to resolve that and find some happiness in this life.

my best belief is to express. humans are expressing creatures and perhaps expressing is what god or God or whatever the supreme is, wants us to do.

with so many people, there may be many wrong expressions. for example, i think war and the reasoning behind it amongst all parties concerned, are wrong expressions. but then take a look at books for another example. many beliefs are expressed in books (or other writings).

the supreme thing may actually desire this abundance of information in order to process that purpose we all have and come up with the good and right in spite of the wrongness that may also be being promulgated here.

i find i must continue my own expressing of my beliefs in purpose where and whenever i can, regardless of moments or periods of despair, disappointment, too much pain etc. (i feel it is a person’s nature if not obligation to provide ittsown share of input.

i believe the overall supreme thing is seeking that input).

so regardless of those times of despair etc, i will give the input and at the same time try to keep living here for as long as i can. then, at the time this body can no longer survive here, embrace dying and death as the opportunity to (and fulfillment of) getting those much sought after answers.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
when looking for god or a god or God, one has to consider what is meant by that terminology. is it “origin” or “creator” ? “supreme entity”? way to be? what are the expectations in finding this apparently variable yet highest form of existing entity? there are so many suggestions and promises and virtues and all have been described by humans or humans claiming that what they say is the word of that supreme thing. one needs faith, or enough scientific thinking to be able to come up with enough of a satisfying thought to determine that the questions have ruled out question. i am not sure that that is available here on earth as we experience it as what we know as life.

in my own search i have satisfied myself that i at least will not know answers during my earthly lifetime. it means i will remain curious all my life. for myself i attempt to be scientific about this and have not been able to rule out “purpose” as the reason i am here. i thus do believe that i have purpose. i have a degree of satisfaction because of this. i also observe and do my best to adhere to what appears to be universally accepted as being good - to the best of my ability.

being able to believe that i have purpose to me validates the existence of states of the “supreme” that are not immediately or even ever visible and perceivable on earth, in this lifetime. and thus is verification of maybe there are reasons beyond mere accident for existence.

considering this state over and over during many years, i have not been able to satisfy myself with the belief in “born, live, die, the end” though i’ve alway had leanings toward that. i just cant believe that in a universe as full as this appears to be, that there is no purpose. i feel confident about that.

yet i don’t think there are any religions on earth that have come up with a good confirmable idea - regardless of how many people live by any particular religious mindset.

thus a large part of me is in eager anticipation of what i will learn about it once my earthly body dies. many people suggest that by being this way i am exhibiting a mental illness. but i am not rushing into death. my life here/now does provide for me much torment but i do try to resolve that and find some happiness in this life.

my best belief is to express. humans are expressing creatures and perhaps expressing is what god or God or whatever the supreme is, wants us to do.

with so many people, there may be many wrong expressions. for example, i think war and the reasoning behind it amongst all parties concerned, are wrong expressions. but then take a look at books for another example. many beliefs are expressed in books (or other writings).

the supreme thing may actually desire this abundance of information in order to process that purpose we all have and come up with the good and right in spite of the wrongness that may also be being promulgated here.

i find i must continue my own expressing of my beliefs in purpose where and whenever i can, regardless of moments or periods of despair, disappointment, too much pain etc. (i feel it is a person’s nature if not obligation to provide ittsown share of input.

i believe the overall supreme thing is seeking that input).

so regardless of those times of despair etc, i will give the input and at the same time try to keep living here for as long as i can. then, at the time this body can no longer survive here, embrace dying and death as the opportunity to (and fulfillment of) getting those much sought after answers.
One point I certainly agree with you is that of "Purpose." Even a God is not necessary at all--as long as you have purpose. That way, life is meaningful even without God because an Atheist has purpose.

Besides, every religion has contradictions and flaws. The Christian Bible has numerous contradictions-- that's why there is conflict between Catholics and Protestants. In other words, even among the Christians themselves, they fight each other, which is why you have different denominations of Christianity. Those contradictions can be found also in Islam and all the other religions too. So the way to solve that is by concluding that all the religions are each a piece of a cosmic jigsaw puzzle. In other words, all the religions are necessary.

Ixtab

I’m a Jew. We’re different.

This is a religious thing that helps me, from a talk of the Lubavich Rebbe:

Being Paradox(Splitting the Sea)

“And the Israelites walked on the dry land within the sea, and the water was a wall for them, to their right and to their left.”—Exodus 14:29

Always be leaving the slavery of Egypt. Never say, “I am this.”
If you catch yourself fitting into a definition, contradict it. If you have found your comfort zone, go beyond it. Don’t let anything define you—neither to the left, nor to the right.
All single roads lead back to bondage. Only by walking two opposite roads at once can you be free.
Yes, it demands a miracle. So be it. Always be walking through the splitting of the sea.
Likutei Sichot volume 3, page 969.​

Przym

I've considered every single religion out there, including new age and gnosticism.

To me, I've come to the conclusion that Christianity is the truth, based upon a variety of things:

Christianity doesn't withhold information from you. It is zealous to tell you blatantly what it's all about, and what to do, in relatively simple answers. "Believe and you will be saved".

It sort of looks like biblical prophecy is manifesting itself in different ways, with the things going on in the middle east, Israel, and even in the west, seeing the foundation of the New World Order rising.

We have historical and archaeological evidence of sites in the bible, including the places where the early Christians from the Book of Acts hid. You can see little documentaries and tour videos of these places in Israel.

People say that the church was created to control. Maybe. I think that yes, human fallibility and greed tend to eventually corrupt most good ideas. In the early days of Christianity, Christians were viewed as a grassroots cult, living in communes, and taking the (philosophical} cynical approach to boldly evangelize to unbelievers on the street. There were men and women who were so taken in by the idea of living for Christ that they ran off to the desert to mediate and commune with God.

Once it became an official state religion, that is likely when problems occurred. The allure sort of faded. Then you had the church leaders who adorned themselves with colorful garbs and jewels while their people starved. I think that St. Francis of Assisi, and then much later, Martin Luther, wanted to defy this imbalance, and take things back to the original grassroots philosophy.

Going back to my first sentence, when you consider ideas like new age, or gnosticism, you will find that their lore is even more complicated and mind-boggling than the bible supposedly is. That people talk in circles about the universe, and metaphysicality, but offer no solutions. Sure, I like people like Alan Watts and Terrance McKenna, too. But they don't really offer anything new that hasn't already been said.

I say, if one is looking into Christianity, and you're tired of western evangelical type stuff, and are looking for more mysticism, then check out the book, "The Roots of Christian Mysticism" by Olivier Clement.

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
when i read your post all i could think of was the evolution theory from marine science how there is simple life forms which then in turn turned into complex life forms and the slowly grew into plants and animals we know today. (keep in mind that im not religious so i am not going to quote anything) knowing that there is multiples of super continents on earth which are are all the continents colliding with each till they become one. and they separate their pieces collide/transform/split/or subduct another way to form a new one. i just think this is the reason all religions no matter where you go, or what you look at you find at least one similar thing. hence it just makes me thinks there was time a when there was only one religion which isn't any that we know today but an unknown one which split off into many parts to become the ones that exist today. religion is merely a collection of similar beliefs about a supernatural being which and could just mean it is completely man made (im just going to stop here with religion i lost my train of thought) so yes i think there is no god or supernatural beings, since we can explain how from the ground to sky are formed. even the wind or the sun. and death and life are merely just a beginning and a end as you have said

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
Most of my life I investigated and studied beliefs and religions as I was curious to the God everyone was talking about.
I still have not found him or her. I have to conclude that with my current evidence and experience there is no God and that none of the religions are true.
If there is no God, then there is no original creator.
If that is the case then there is no beginning and probably no end to everything.
This means there really is only one thing and that is everything, which includes yourself, me and the cat.
Life and Death now becomes one thing, death becomes change within everything as does life.
~

As far as I can see, religion and God was invented to answer the 3 fundamental question we all have early in our lives.
1) Who am I?
2) Where am I going?
3) Will I find parking when I get there?

but what if there is no God, there is no holy book and there is no after life, what are the answers to these questions then?

1) You are who you want to be.
2) You should constantly pursue happiness.
3) Enjoy being happy or at the very least enjoy being content. If you are not happy then start pursuing happiness. Sometimes just the pursuit of happiness will make you happy.

The above are words to myself, my own experiences and my own realizations. :) Have a nice day.
I believe you have been looking in the wrong places. "Lo, the Kingdom of God is not here or there, the Kingdom of God is within you." Very smart saying.

Waves

Interesting that you posted this new thread today, the day when I have prepared the following for sharing with you:

Who Or What Is God?

God to me means the Great White Spirit, Father/Mother of all life and their only born Son/Daughter, the Spirit of the Universal Christ, who is the Great Light and light of all lights, the Sun above and beyond the Sun in the sky above us. The masculine aspect of the Divine is God the Father, the will and power of the Universal intelligence. This is the source from which pure creative ideas in thought form are incessantly pouring forth into all life. Its feminine counterpart is the Goddess, the wisdom and love aspect of the Holy Trinity. She receives these impulses and decides which ones are worthy of coming into manifestation, where and when, so that they can begin to grow, shaped and formed in the realities of the many different worlds that constitute the whole of God’s Creation. This includes those that are presently visible to human eyes and others on different levels of life, which for us up to now have to remain invisible.

The Divine spirit, the same as ours, is eternal and immortal. It always has been without beginning or end. It is omnipresent, omniscient and omni-potent. The law of life is love and evolution. All beings are created and born of love and destined to keep on evolving and growing forever. Nothing in the whole of Creation, on all its levels, will always continue to evolve, expand and grow through the knowledge that is constantly gathered by every one of its parts and that includes you and me. New and ever deeper insights and discoveries into this, that and the other will always be made by someone somewhere. Each soul must come to terms with this and accept that for this reason there will never be absolute truth.

So, what of God’s truth? How do we know when we are finding some of it? Because of the precious gift of freedom of choice each one of us is allowed to decide what we can and wish to take on board as our truth. Yet, every right also brings responsibilities with it and any newly found knowledge puts the onus on us for choosing wisely. Any knowledge one of us gathers, of which our inner guidance says that it is true, is meant to be shared with those around us and then used for making our world a better place for everything in it, so that all lifeforms together evolve and grow. Therefore, whenever you are reading or listening to anything, make a habit of paying attention to the responses that rise from the world of your feelings into your heart. Listen attentively, as this is the voice of your inner guidance and teacher, your intuition, communicating with you. It will never let you down or lie to you, so learn to follow it in all things.

Because there are numerous gullible people in our world and just as many who are all too happy to exploit this, be careful and refuse to take anything that comes to your attention at face-value. Everything that enters our awareness in some way flows into our consciousness and we ourselves are responsible for what we allow in. To establish whether the information before you has any validity for you, you yourself have to test and try it. You are always the bottom line and you alone can decide whether you are willing to accept or reject what someone tells you, whoever this may be. Naturally, this is also valid for my writings. It has never been my nature to wish to prescribe for anyone what to believe and what not. In any case, being aware that there is no absolute truth, who would still be foolish enough to dogmatically state this, that or the other is the ultimate truth and therefore valid for everybody?

Those who are familiar with my work know that I go to great lengths to point out the necessity for choosing carefully what we accept as our truth. Never follow anyone blindly or take their words for gospel, no matter how high and holy the person or institution may seem on the surface of things. Even though the information you are receiving from such sources may have been true when it first appeared in our world, by now it could be outdated and further insights may be waiting to be given, possibly through you. If something you hear or read does not feel right, pay attention and listen to what ideas may come to you.

Consult with your inner self by meditating and/or reflecting on any points that sound doubtful to you. Then put the matter to one side and wait to see whether what insights may come to you intuitively. When they do, do not forget to share them with those around you. In this way we shall eventually all become channels of Divine wisdom and truth, who are capable of acting as bringers of light to our world. This needs to continue until every last shred of the dark clouds of ignorance, consisting of false beliefs, prejudices and superstitions, which to this day hang over and fill the consciousness of our race, have been dispersed and peace has at last come to us and our world.

As new ideas and fresh insights are constantly flowing into my existing writings from my inner guru, my work is living proof of how, as one learns to live ever more intuitively, there is no danger of getting stuck in outdated beliefs. When the voice of the living God within constantly provides you with opportunities for checking the truth of what it has to say, you gradually learn to trust that it really does know the answer to all your questions and what is good and right for you in any given moment. The more this higher part of our nature takes over, the less one feels inclined to look for information from other sources. There comes the moment when one realises that the need for it has faded away completely. In my view, this is the greatest advantage of being taught by our inner guru. As valuable tools as some books to this day are as communication tools and educational aids, it is not hard to see that the time will come on the Earth plane when they will no longer be required, because we are all being taught by our intuition, the long awaited new World Teacher.

Shortly after finishing my reflections on ‘The Truth about Truth’, I found my notes confirmed by the Lebanese/American mystic, poet and writer, Kahlil Gibran, 1883-1931. In ‘Kahlil the Heretic’ he wrote: ‘The true light is that which emanates from within humankind. It reveals the secrets of the heart to the soul, making it happy and contented with life. Truth is like the stars. It does not appear except from behind the obscurity of the night [the darkness of ignorance]. Truth is like all beautiful things in the world. It does not disclose its desirability except to those who first feel [and have suffered at the hands of] falsehood. Truth is a deep kindness that teaches us to be content in our everyday life and share with people the same kind of happiness [so that they may find it, too]. . . This is the truth I have learnt from the teachings of the Nazarene.’

The Greek philosopher Aristotle, 384-322 BC, saw the matter as follows: ‘To say of what is, that it is – and of what is not, that it is not. That [to me] is speaking the truth.’
[/QUO

Long post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00