Religious Views

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Atheist Demon, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

I don't know if it belongs here or not, but since I think ideological things are discussed here, I put it here, feel free to move if appropriate.

As you can see by my username and some of my post and my profile info, that I don't believe in any god. But it was a secret in my family. Being from a Southern Black family that put Jesus in the center of everything, I kept my lack of belief away from my family. But I couldn't do it anymore, I was upset earlier today, and I went for a walk in the freezing cold and listen to some not-so-christian music. When I came back home, I was still ticked off and I went and talked to my aunt, I told her that I no longer believe in God, and I hate him. She wasn't happy and told me to talk to my mom. I told my mom I was an atheist back in July, and that really hurt her. I told her I converted back to Christianity in October, but I never officially did. And today I told her that I am still an atheist, she wasn't as mad as I thought, but she said why do you deny god. I told her my reason (PM me if you want to know, cause it is long). Sorry for the long story, but do any of yall think that ppl who share different religious views are bad ppl? I try to live my life right and be helpful to others and I don't push atheism on anyone. But am I a bad person cause I refuse to believe/worship god?

2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

It doesn't make you bad to be an atheist. The God question is a small part of a person's overall belief system and an even smaller part of how they can be judged. There's nothing moral about choosing to worship a deity or any immorality in not worshiping.

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I don't think it makes you a bad person, but I disagree with JohnADreams when he says that the belief or lack thereof in a deity is a very small part of who we are. I think it is the most important question in the world. Answering that question and figuring out what to do with that answer is what we all as human beings have in common and what we all struggle with. The answer will determine the course of your entire life, so yes, I think it is hugely important. This is why we need to do our research and be really, really certain in our own minds as to what we do or do not believe.

But just out of curiosity, I'm getting mixed signals from you. Do you NOT believe in God or do you HATE God? Surely, both cannot be true.

4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

If you believed in God but acted the same way you do now would you be going to their version of heaven?
    I think the answers yes and in their eyes that should be the only thing that matters as your still a good person.

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Your not a bad person cuz you refuse to believe in god, soo many people out there are the same. There are people who do many good in there life and are genuine and kind and yet they don't believe in religion, etc.

6. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

so what do you believe in?

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I would guess that your family pushing religion on you and their disappointment in your dis-belief is that they do not believe. Your Mom is projecting her doubts of a God onto you, and that's not fair. At least you can see it for what it is. I'm guessing your Mom is just scared.

:hug:

8. Atheist Demon

I am more of an agnostic atheist cause I believe he could exist, but I refuse to worship him. My whole ideology is in the line ''Either God doesn't exist, or he is sadistically cruel." I read that my ideology is close to Agnostic-Atheism. I doubt he exist cause I use to be very religious/spiritual growing up, I use to love reading the bible. But now I see that there are a lot of half truths and contradiction in the bible, I see that ppl who are Christian were the ones who used/molested/and treated me very bad.

Nothing, I believe I am going to hell, while everyone else goes to paradise. I believe there is no hope for me.

9. gothic_spleen

gothic_spleen Antiquities Friend

heh....after reading the posts i feel as though im looking in a mirror, you wont be alone.

I graduated from seminary/college, and havent been back. People ask me "did you fall from grace"? I reply "nope, found the tallest building in the city of grace, and jumped".

10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

oh well. might be fun :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJc4dzZ3IA

11. Atheist Demon

Sorry I don't like AC/DC.

12. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

ah, buggar me then. well, I tried :biggrin:

13. fromthatshow

Think about that. Everyone else is more important, and more deserving of Heaven than you are?
    That's a bit of a claim.

You are just a deserving of the next person of good things! How could you be the only one that is different? That is silly.

14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

There is no god.

There. I like nice blunt statements like that. Anyways, ya. I'm an atheist. I'm a scientist... But that's redundant.

If anyone wants to yell about atheism not being scientific, I will yell right back at you.

15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

what I wanna know is..how could anyone NOT like AC/DC?

I'm only kidding. to each their own :tongue:

so...you're an athiest and a scientist ay? how is that a redundant
    statement? it wouldn't even necessarily be ipso facto a redundancy if
    it were reversed, as in, scientist/athiest. the two things simply are not
    mutually exclusive. but, you can certainly be both iffin ya wanna :smile:

ya wanna? :laugh:

16. Lovecraft

Not exclusive, no. Perhaps I worded poorly, but I was only intending to imply that a scientist is an atheist. You can be an atheist without being a scientist, but not vice versa. The scientific method has a clear stance on god/s.

Also, yell as desired.

17. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

okie dokie :smile:

no yelling. I could hurt my golden throated voice :biggrin:

18. Rockster

Rockster Guest

Wow that is so true

19. fromthatshow

So you're saying you can't be a scientist without being an atheist?

Is it not possible for science to prove the existence of God?

20. Lovecraft

Science can't prove anything. Science takes ideas, tests them and looks to see if the idea and test seem to fit. It can give credence to the idea, but never prove it, because there's always some chance that it is false, but only appears true.

Anyways, as of today, scientific inquiry is most certainly not in favour of god.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.