religous question

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by theaterfreak, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. if isn't not please move it to where its supposed to be.
    i was just wondering what different people believe about what happens if someone commits suicide? like do you go straight to hell or is God forgiving? what happens in the hereafter?
    personally i think that its God decision who goes to heaven and who doesn't and that its not my place to judge people. i hope God takes into account that that person isn't in their right frame of mind and forgives them. but those are just my thoughts and i'm not a pastor or anything.

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I would imagine that a being of presumably limitless love, intelligence, and power would be a bit more empathetic and open-minded than as portrayed by the faiths of man.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I read somewhere, an article on re-incarnation I believe; that if we cut our lives short we were doomed to have to come back and do it all again.
    Hopefully the second time round with more ability to face whatever life threw at us.

As to God damning someone for being in pain and ending their lives.
    If we can forgive transressions how much more would God forgive.
    Jesus said God is love, love doesnt seek to punishment peeps with eternal torment. Hope that helped :)

4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think your answers will be many just as there are so many different religions and what their beliefs are.

I dont subscribe to any organized religion. But I do believe in "God". And I think that He gives us these bodies and lives to live the best we can. And if we find oursleves not able to live any longer, He understands.

5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Accoding to my catholic upbringings, those who commit suicide burn in hell forever.

I do not follow it though.

6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

It's not a persons deeds that determines if one goes to Heaven. Believing that Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins, was buried and resurrected, and asking him to be savior of one's life, is the determining factor for going to Heaven, no matter what a person has done good or bad.

No guilt trips needed. I hope this helps.

7. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

How about "You cease to exist"?

8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. :thumbup: :)

9. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I suspect you simply go out like a light and that's the end of everything, regardless of what caused it. I sincerely hope that's the case, anyway; eternal life of ANY flavor is pretty much my worst nightmare.

10. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

You commit suicide and you're going to hell, buddy, no 72 virgins for you!

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Eternal torment as a result of temporal torment. Wow, what a great system we have going on.

Though if there is a god I doubt he is benevolent, so the above is the case. *shrug*

12. Raven

Raven Guest

It's not a persons deeds that determines if one goes to Heaven. Believing that Jesus is the Son of God, he died for our sins, was buried and resurrected, and asking him to be savior of one's life, is the determining factor for going to Heaven, no matter what a person has done good or bad.

What a bunch of bullshit this is, I am tired of hearing this from christens, so let me guess if I do not believe in Christ you are going to hell? I can’t fathom people believing and spreading this hate and spewing such foul words out of their mouths.

As for the poster, if there is a God ( I vehemently believe there is not one). If he is a just God, a honest God, he will forgive you no matter who or what you are, hell is lie perpetrated to breed fear and control over people's lives, any God that would condom a man a person to hell is not worthy of our praise.

A father’s love has no conditions I know this to be true

~Raven

13. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Oh really? So even though the bible (which is the word of God) says that if someone commits suicide, they go straight to hell, they don't?
    Which is it?
    If I accept Jesus into my heart and commit suicide I can go to heaven right?
    Doesn't that mean that there is no point to me living?
    Or is this closer to the actual end of suicide...

Seventh Circle (Violence)
    Middle ring: In this ring are the suicides (the violent against self), who are transformed into gnarled thorny bushes and trees, which are fed on by the Harpies. Unique among the dead, the suicides will not be bodily resurrected after the final judgement, having given their bodies away through suicide. Instead they will maintain their bushy form, with their own corpses hanging from the limbs. Dante breaks a twig off one of the bushes and from the broken, bleeding, branch hears the tale of Pier delle Vigne, who committed suicide after falling out of favour with Emperor Frederick II (his presence here, rather than in the ninth circle, indicates that Dante believes that the accusations made against him were false[30]). Also here are Lano da Siena and Jacopo da Sant' Andrea. The trees are a metaphor for the state of mind in which suicide is committed.[31] The other residents of this ring are the profligates, who destroyed their lives by destroying the means by which life is sustained (i.e. money and property). They are perpetually chased by ferocious dogs through the thorny undergrowth (Canto XIII).

14. Chargette

Where in the Bible does it say that a person who commits suicide goes to hell?

As a born again Christian, I am adopted by God. Even so, I don't want to face him in the circumstance of suicide.

15. SentinelMG

SentinelMG Active Member

Well, personally I don't believe in God, so as mentioned above I believe you cease to exist. Nothing else afterwards, no pain, no memories, nothing. Consciousness ends.

The God I used to believe in wouldn't have condemned you to hell either; it's a tough decision made by someone not in their correct frame of mind. If he can forgive for murder, I see no reason he can't forgive for suicide.

16. Prof.Bruttenholm

(Mark 3:28-29 KJV) Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:

What does this mean? If you renounce God, no matter what, you go to hell?
    Really?
    So the unconditional love and forgiveness of God has ...conditions?

17. Chargette

Notice the key here is that the individual first rejected God. The person goes to hell because everyone is born condemned to hell. Heaven becomes an opportunity when an individual accepts God's gift of salvation.

18. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

again does this mean children are condemned to hell?
    I have seen no scripture that states otherwise.
    Even if they don't, as soon as they reach an age of reason why are they automatically condemned to hell.
    This in christianity makes me abhor it. life is meant to be enjoyed and lived to the full, not to be made to feel guilty and live in servitude!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
  19. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

What gets me is when people talk about religion as a guide, the teacher of values and morality and that "God" loves everyone. Presumably this "everyone goes to hell" bit is used to indoctrinate people by installing fear along with other means of psychological torture for people who have fallen into this factless belief system.

Is it morally right to teach this "going to hell" stuff to kids?

Incidentally when you die, life ends. End of story.

20. Prof.Bruttenholm

And yet you avoid my point.

If someone accepted Jesus into their heart and truly did so but later in life, renounced God, does that mean they'll go to hell? Even though they already accepted Jesus as an earlier point in their life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.