Remember that?

Discussion in 'The Gameroom' started by Prof.Bruttenholm, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

List something you miss or remember from your childhood; store, clothes, t.v. shows, whatever.

I remember video rental stores before Blockbuster took over and inevitably fell.

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Arcades. I remember being about nine years old, bombing down the side streets with my friends (I had friends once...) on our bicycles, change in pocket for the purchase of slurpees and quarters for Street Fighter II. The arcade was seedy and full of teenagers smoking cigarettes but we didn't care.

This was a time before cell phones and the internet. It was different. I'm not sure about better. I try not to look back at those times with rose coloured glasses. A lot of awful things happened to me back then too. But not at the arcades. All good memories of cheap overcooked hotdogs and french fries, soda pop and HADOUKENS!

3. Prof.Bruttenholm

I remember arcades, before consoles took over households.
    The past wasn't always better but it had its moments.

I remember wandering through small patches of forest and swamp land, having real adventures.

4. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

When people could speak or write proper English versus this trendy crappy slang which others think is so cool.:mad:

5. Prof.Bruttenholm

No i-d wat u iz talkin bout :p

Just kidding.

I know exactly what you mean. I have seen people actually writing in text speak and of course when I hear people talking in it, it bothers me even more.

I remember when movies were more than just sequel after sequel or even if they were, they were creative, inventive and fun.

6. barto

barto Well-Known Member

^I was actually just thinking about this.

My generation is so obnoxious :dry:

7. Prof.Bruttenholm

Yes but it's not your fault.

I remember growing up when computers didn't dominate our lives.
    When going outside was fun and not a punishment from computers being taken away.

Nowadays kids spend more time online than outside.
    But this isn't a complaint thread.

It's about remembering.

I remember early computer games, 8-bit ones like Oregon Trail.

8. Mr Stewart

Oregon Trail on a gigantic floppy disk, the kind that were actually 'floppy'. Take disc out of protective sleeve, slide into disk drive like you're putting a pizza into an oven, close the clip to secure the disc inside. Boot up the Apple and away you go. ha.

9. Prof.Bruttenholm

Or even comparably more recent, CD Rom. Yes CD Rom, back when if you wanted to play a game you had to upload fifty CDs onto your computer.

I recently discovered amongst a pile of old dust covered books, a plastic bag containing Silent Hill 3 for the PC and decided to take the 6 disc set and put it on my laptop.
    Now my laptop came out many many years after Silent Hill 3 and can run it perfectly as it can hand up to 16x speed on discs and yet I popped into the CD Rom and it sounded (and felt like) my laptop was going to explode, luckily it didn't and I got all of the discs in my computer and now I can play a classic as I please :)

I remember when horror movies were about a well made story and being scary, not just being gore fests.
    I don't want to watch a fake snuff film where a spoiled American girl in her twenties goes to Europe for the summer and gets kidnapped and tortured by having her eye taken out with an spoon.

I remember, The Thing, yes, the movie titled The Thing. That was a good movie.

10. topsail81

topsail81 Well-Known Member

VHS, trapper keepers, and Where in the world is Carmen San diego.

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Lol Trapper Keepers! I forgot about those.

I remember spending entire days outside during the summers, swinning, riding bikes ... doing stuff that didn't involve a computer.

12. AxiomUltimatum

AxiomUltimatum Well-Known Member

I remember kids birthday parties at McDonalds... The cake was good but the goody bags.... Oh the goody bags made that party, every kids birthday! :biggrin:

13. oval

oval Well-Known Member

i remember watching cartoons without sound bc my mom thought if i had everything served on a silver platter (-> the whole story in the cartoon) it would hurt the development of my creativity :biggrin:
    i remember drawing on a big roll of paper that was the size of me.
    i remember wearing the most weird looking clothes that my mom made for me.
    and, of course, my imaginary friend(s) ..if only i had watched cartoons with the sound, i had too much imagination

14. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

going on computer purely for the sake of using paint. =p

playing in the sandpit, tree climbing

going frog hunting

rescuing earthworms that came out onto the road when there was too much rain

spending my schoolholidays reading til my eyes blurred

15. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I was at McDonald's just the other day and remembered this. Those parties used to be amazing. :')

I used to love that show!!

16. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

my grandparents' place in the country - big lawn, woods behind, massive garden

17. Prof.Bruttenholm

Glad I started this thread.

I remember my first comic books.
    I remember how much I wanted to make super heroes like that.

I remember watching Batman the cartoon series.

I remember exploring, when it was fun and not tedious.

18. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I remember phones with cords (that I often twisted around my fingers while talking on.)

While on that, I remember when everyone had a home phone and very few people had a cell phone.

I remember when hand held video games lacked color...

I remember when Cracker Jacks actually had decent prizes in the boxes and not educational pieces of paper.

I also remember when you could find prizes in cereal boxes instead of having to mail order the prizes.

19. Mr Stewart

Getting up in the wee hours to watch Hercules and Astro Boy.

Soaring high in the sky,
    He may be small but only in size.
    AstroBoy, AstroBoy,
    He is brave and gentle and wise!

Stronger Than all the rest,
    this mighty robot will pass the test,
    Oh villains fear him, so we cheer him,
    The amazing AstroBoy!

When you need someone strong,
    Our robot friend will never be long.
    AstroBoy, AstroBoy,
    He will try to right any wrong!

When there's danger near by,
    No matter who, what, where, when or why.
    He'll defend us, he'll defend us,
    The amazing AstroBoy!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  20. Prof.Bruttenholm

I remember when you had to literally mail in entries for contests and you didn't have email addresses to give out so you wouldn't end up with thousands of emails of spam.

I remember when television was worth watching, before reality t.v.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.