1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remembering my first and only attempt

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by solutions, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I was 17. Things weren't going very well. I lost my girlfriend--we broke up violently, seething with hatred. After only a few days, I missed her a lot, but I was smart enough to know it was over at that point, so I didn't pursue her. I was in college, but I was only coasting, not really caring how I was doing. My father's drinking was starting to get out of control and affected the family.

One night I was feeling awful, and I reached the point of despair and hopelessness. I missed my ex horribly, and she had already replaced me with someone else. I didn't see any possible future for myself. So I reached for a bottle of xxxxxxxxxxx. I intended to take more, but somehow, taking just those ten calmed me down. I calmly called my psychiatrist and therapist and told them both what I had done. I went through the whole ER routine, getting my stomach emptied and all that, then they sent me home without being hospitalized, with my attempt probably being considered parasuicide.

It's strange. I only xxxxxxxxxx. But I'm sure that the instant I made the decision to overdose, I intended to take everything I had. I just didn't go through with it-xxxxxxxx enough to calm me down. The impulse had faded.

It's worth noting that I wish I had gone through with the attempt into the realm of something potentially dangerous. To be honest, I wish I had succeeded. Things got complicated with my ex, who I haven't spoken to in two years. I can't seem to get over her, probably because we were childhood friends, too. We both went through a traumatic experience with each other, so it seems natural that we'd at least be friends. My grades got better, and I even won a few awards for academics and recreational things. My life must have looked great from the outside. I was an amateur poker player making good money on the side, I had the resources I needed, I was in a secure place. I won a poetry prize and was congratulated in front of an audience and handed a check for my winning piece. But I felt empty and sick. Right now, I feel like that, too. I just don't care about anything. There's no future I want. I just want everyone and everything to go away. That's how things are right now.

I don't know what's going to happen now. But I guess the bottom line is just that I tried weakly and failed. I was hospitalized later, and I've had various treatments for depression, but I've only partially responded. I still suffer from nightmares, insomnia, occasional suicidal feelings and impulses, and episodes of depression that cause me to withdraw.

If I try again, I know what I'm going to do, and the method's lethality is reliable. But for now...I'm just not desperate enough to try anything. My world has gotten a lot smaller. I only take part-time school and work on the side, and sometimes I submit poetry to publishers. But I live a very quiet life.

In any case, I'm fine for now. I just hope things work out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

This is so sad, but one comment I must make, is how skillful your writing is...I hope you are persuing it in college, because you really have a gift...J

3. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

lol, thanks. I don't study anything related to writing, but I write poetry on the side, mostly for fun, sometimes for money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.