Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by normaljoe, Nov 10, 2014.

1. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

Ummm should I take it? Its for nightmares but it makes me tired so why would I take this if I am tired all the freaking time? Oh and does anyone else but heads with every psychiatrist they meet? Just psychiatrists never my counselor, just the pill guy.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey there, out of all the medications I have been on (and that's a lot) mirtazapine (called zispin here) is one of the best that has worked for me. The lower the dose, the better the sedative effect for sleeping (comes in 15mg,30mg and 45mg, I have been on all three) it's known as the sedating anti depressant maybe this is where you are getting that it works for nightmares?
    I was suffering severe nightmares about 2 years ago and I was told by the consultant psychiatrist that there is NO medication for nightmares, I don't know if that was then and wondering if it's been proven since then that something has been proven to work for nightmares? but I still have never heard or read of anything working for nightmares so very curious where you got this info from? Would love to read up on it.
    Yes, it does make you tired, I always took it right before bed...what dose and what time are you taking it? And is it helping with the nightmares?
    Just want to say as well that as of now I am free from depression and mirtazapine played a huge role in that I believe, but I was also in regular was the mix of both that really lifted me up (I was on other medications too, but just talking about the depression here). I think too that if you need to be prescribed an anti depressant then it would probably be a good idea to seek counselling as well. As you say...''the pill guy'', has he spoke of you getting counselling, do you get to spend much time talking to him, how helpful is he etc...? Sorry just trying to get a full picture :)
  3. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

Yea I have two counselors one for emdr and the other for depression and another pill doc. I also maxed out on Zoloft and have gotten into the wonderful habbit of overdosing it to alleviate symptoms. *sarcasm on wonderful* I just took my first one tonight. And yes they my docs said it was for anxiety a d depression so it may not stop the nightmares but I will sleep through them. I was told prazacine. (Pronounced prey-zuh-sin) is good for nightmares specifically because it targets ur adrenal system, originally designed as a blood pressure medication. But I dont want to touch it for fear of side effects. And do u bump heads with ur docs or am I just being am S.O.B.?
  4. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

I've a similar experience to Petal, Mirtazapine is a great medication in my opinion. I think it saved my life a couple of years ago, it is probably the only anti depressant I have taken that helped me. How long have you been taking it? The first three days I took it I was basically a zombie, but after that I didn't feel tired at all (literally it had no affect on my energy levels after that). Plus I could sleep like a normal person which was amazing. If you have been taking it for a while, maybe it doesn't suit you. However give it a couple of weeks, if you haven't done so already. Some psychiatrists are assholes, it's true, but some are very caring and empathetic people. Maybe you have been unlucky. Or do you have a problem with authority?