Remove your depession

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by fedrorpet, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedrorpet

fedrorpet Banned Member

I am going to discuss some tips to reduse depression.

1. Do not read newspapers.

Newspapers publish negative stories most of the time. Even in peaceful periods, newspapers will find the worst in humanity and place negative stories on display in order to promote sales and subscribers. Stories focused on War, rebellion, death, destruction, doom and despair abound in the newspapers.

You will not miss any news. Friends, family, and your local air raid siren will keep you informed if your attention is needed. Only pay attention to the things you can control in your life.

Stop reading the newspaper and reduce the negative input to your brain.

2. Turn off your television.

Watching and listening about the horrible economy and the losses associated with War will add to depression. In fact, you guarantee the feeling of helplessness. Helplessness allows depression to nurture. If you really need to watch or listen to these kinds of news stories, promise yourself you will bury yourself in the documentaries that are sure to follow in the next 5 or 10 years. A way you can eliminate most of the negative input to your brain is by setting it aside for a date somewhere in the future. I guarantee in the future, you will not find it very interesting.

When visitors come to your home, make sure you turn off your television and keep it off. News television broadcasters are fighting for your guests' attention as they promote despair, war, death, and destruction with many headline news interruptions. Those little banners that run across the bottom of the screen achieve your attention and they take hold of your consciousness. Television will diminish your positive spirit.

3. Say good things about others

My Mother always says, "if you can't say anything nice about others, don't say anything at all." However, when you find yourself in a conversation and a relative says, "Remember Uncle Phil?" " He was an alcoholic" Respond with " yes, Uncle Phil was an alcoholic and he was the most charitable person, I have ever met."

Connect your friend's negative statement about Phil with a positive one. Set yourself up to find the positive in anyone's statement and you will keep negative thoughts and depression from overtaking your life.

Og Mandino, a great motivator once said, "treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight." "Your life will never be the same again."

4. Get physical exercise

Adults forget about exercise when suffering from depression. Make sure you are exercising daily and sending more oxygen to your brain cells. The result of exercise will improve your health as well as your attitude.

5. Breathe deep and relax.

Practice the following breathing exercise to relax your body and mind.

Breathe deeply and relax. For 2 or 3 minutes each hour, take a short mental vacation.

You can engage in this exercise while you are standing in the checkout line at the supermarket or when listening to others while talking on a telephone. You can complete the exercise at home or at work.

Take three deep breathes and relax. As you inhale, concentrate on calm and peaceful thoughts. You may think about relaxing by a mountain, by the ocean or comfortably in your favorite room at home.

2. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

But I love to read the newspapers and watch TV. How about just skip the bad parts? And the effects of exercise don't usually last.
    And by the way, those steps won't rid someone of deep depression.

3. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)

I think some of this will help me when im on a downward cycle. fingers crossed - it cant hurt anyway :)

4. Shouri

Shouri Member

I think good step for me was be as spontaneous as possible. I was in severe depression and it helped

5. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think spontaneity helps in the short term. Forcing yourself to do SOMETHING, when all you really want to do is curl up in bed all day. Just saying "Im gonna get off my ass and go outside to the shops, or to a pub (I know pubs suck on your own), or a park, or walk down the beach". That is a temporary fix with a temporary payoff. You need to take longer term measures.

I think for that you need to get yourself involved in routines and commitments that are long lasting, like work, study, sport, regular meetups, social gatherings etc, and I think, by in large, things that take place outside of four walls are better. I think this lack of outdoor activity, not even talking exercise, just being outside, is half the problem. When I was growing up I would be outdoors from the moment I finished breakfast, till about 6 or 7pm, every day. Now it seems we spend a lot of time at home, or work, and just make the brief voyage in-between, often in peak hour traffic or heavily crowded public transport. Doesnt exactly stack up to a rich, rewarding life in my view.

Being easily distracted is another major problem. I can waste hours doing next to nothing. A lack of focus and stupid little distractions really kill my days. So long term commitments, extended time outdoors, and focusing on things you really want to do, so you actually achieve them are 3 solid measures for the long haul.

But just like most people with depression. I might know what would help me personally and those suffering from depression in general, the actions we could take, but actually doing it requires a mountain of energy we simply dont have. I talk about it, but I couldnt be f****d doing it, and because of that, not a lack of knowing how to fix it, I shall remain this way until I finally snap the hell out of it, or take myself out, whichever comes first. I think that's where CBT comes in...bridging that gap between the solutions and taking action.

6. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

when Im seriously depressed not 1 of your 1-5 would work even in the slightest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.