Repressed Memories - how common is it

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by ThoseEmptyWalls, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I know I have posted about this in the past but wanted to ask about memory directly this time. I know I was sexually abused and I think raped when I was a child. I have a few clear memories of the abuse but not many. Is it common for victims of childhood abuse to block out the memories like that. I mean a near total blocking out of the memories. I have one clear memory, one very fuzzy memory, and one memory thats partially clear then gets fuzzy. I know people repress memories to save themselfs the pain but is it common to block out so much of the incidents? Would it be easier to remember? Is there any way to remember? Maybe if I remember it would help clear things up in my own head and help me to finish moving on..... A bit of background info: I told my mother about the abuse when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I didnt give details. About two days after telling her she told me I lied about it and she knew that to be true because she talked to the man who abused me and he denied it (also claimed she called the cops but no one talked to me so Im unsure of that). While typing this post I also had another fuzzy memory about another man (when I was maybe 3 years old)..

2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

it's common. a childs mind is very open and once old enough to understand the horror of what happened could go into, well catatonia, shock, etc. as we grow older however we are more able to deal with what has occured because our minds have learned new coping strategies, and we are more willing to deal with these issues, which can sometimes make it easier when we confront them. it's never easy though.

3. xzxw

xzxw Member

Everything i remember are all repressed that have just come back

4. mcviking

mcviking Well-Known Member

Not remembering is better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.