Reproductive rights and ugly people ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, people who judge other entirely off of physical appearance don't bother me in the least. I guess it's disappointing that I've seen so many of these people through my own eyes... including good people who were sucked in because that's what society told them. But these people are only hurting themselves. I'm a decently attractive person, but when girls are attracted to me entirely based on appearance, I know better than to think I just hit the lottery. It's too good to be true. Because if someone is able to decide in an instant whether or not they want to have sex with you, can't you expect them to do the same with others?

If you hook up with someone who's already in a relationship, do you really think you're so special that they would never do that to you? A lot can be learned simply by watching how others treat others.

If someone is simple minded enough that all that matters to them is physical appearance, then they can go fuck other people who think the same way. I'll stay away from them.

If our perception of attractiveness is really just who we think will provide us the most well-adapted offspring, I would much rather marry a woman who has similar values to me and who I think is going to be a good mother to my children than some ditzy airhead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twocky61

Banned Member
Just a couple of quotes come to my mind on this subject:

- You do not love a beautiful person - They are beautiful because you love them

- A person with freckles is beautiful - a person without freckles is like the night sky without stars

So really beauty is relative - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so really that must mean nobody can possibly be ugly

Growing Pains

i think this post is very nice, but a few things popped in my mind.

- the idea that suffering is limited to those that are physically unattractive is flawed.
suffering (or harm) comes in many forms and all procreation inflicts potential harm on a sentient being.

- as lightinthedarkestnight said, phenotypic expression is random. two ugly people may not necessarily
have an ugly child.

- i disagree that attractiveness is "largely socially constructed". there's more evidence that attractiveness has measurable, objective indicators.

- i think the desire for ideal mate(s) is a healthy biological imperative. it's only when it isn't met it causes bad feelings.

- not directed at op, but i often see people here tell others that if they want to better they just need to "go change" their values or beliefs. i find this ridiculous on so many levels lol.
These kind of popped into my mind, too. As well as the idea that confidence is attractive being flawed. I dropped a lot of weight in the past year, and I'm less confident than ever before. Yet, people think I'm more beautiful than ever before. If it was true - that confidence = beauty - then I should be far from beautiful to people looking at me. As I am far from confident.

Or, perhaps, I'm just really good at faking confidence?

Also, there is evidence that beauty is more than just a socially constructed idea. Subconscious attractions to things we want to pass on to our kids, things we notice that may help aid in the breeding process, etc.

Of course, we all have our own idea of what beautiful is.

I especially agree that the idea that suffering is limited only to those who are considered unattractive is very, very flawed. I am considered attractive now by most people who speak to me, and I am suffering more than ever before. Because now I feel like no one sees me as a person anymore. I feel like they are focusing more on my appearance than ever before rather than my soul.

Everyone can suffer. I don't know what to say about beauty/attractiveness anymore. Because the past year has distorted my opinion of it.

Xaos

That is not at all a personal attack, it was what was needed to be said. Same as defending yourself or others against a bully, or speaking up against Hitler. When someone says something so evil and pretty much genocidal ("ugly" people should not reproduce) in a forum for life's victims and very vulnerable people, they should be told off. Deleting the comments telling them off is immoral and indefensible, especially since the evil, bullying and triggering comments they're (rightly) reacting to are allowed to say. You're protecting people who should be banned from sf
Agreed

Daphna

Ninja of light
I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I also believe that a beautiful spirit makes everyone more attractive.

two ugly people may not necessarily have an ugly child.
Stop using the word "ugly" to describe the physical appearence of humans. People on this forum really should know better.
i disagree that attractiveness is "largely socially constructed". there's more evidence that attractiveness has measurable, objective indicators.
That attitude won't exactly help society improve
i think the desire for ideal mate(s) is a healthy biological imperative
Nor will that. You think there's such a thing as objectively "ugly", and yet you think this is a good thing? :pullinghair:

I'd hoped this thread would be dead by now, and a clever person would probably stay away from a subject which upsets him. I'll let ya know if I see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00