Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by NoNamesPlease, May 21, 2016.

1. NoNamesPlease

NoNamesPlease Active Member

I'm feeling very resentful of my mother. I am 50 years old, she is 70. She has been mentally ill for as long as I can remember and also a drug addict. I have had depression for as long as I can remember. I sought treatment when I was 20 years old finally.

I have always been the more responsible one in the family, the one who always kept a job and help other people out. I feel as if I've been taking care of my mother since I was a child. Now that she is older and in failing health, I resent the hell out of having to take care of her. I do not have any support from the rest of the family because she has alienated the rest of them. Many family members won't speak to me because I stay in contact with her.

Most of the time I feel like I raised myself. I hate myself for feeling resentful of an old woman who is sick. I have no children, mainly because I did not want 2 be the type of parent she was. I know that when I'm her age I will have no one. It's one of the things that brings me to thinking of suicide almost everyday.
  2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Welcome to the forum @NoNamesPlease
    *hugs* Are you still getting help for the depression?
    What about friends?
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I am sorry you are going through this. What is her diagnosis? You have a right to feel the way you do and your mom is very lucky to have you :) Are you seeing a therapist?
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish there was some kind of support group in your area for people who are care givers to parents. I can read how rough you have had it being the only person taking responsibility. I hope that somehow you will find support locally. I know you can find support here
    MisterBGone likes this.
  5. NoNamesPlease

Thank you. I am getting health insurancevsooncand can go back on meds and therapy.

Mom is borderline, and bipolar
  6. NoNamesPlease

Thank you. I'm really needing the support today. Boyfriend just tells me to quit being a p****