resistance to physical addictions? and mental addictions.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by crystaltears, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crystaltears

crystaltears Member

ok , so I am sure i am not the only person out there who has resistance to becoming physically addicted to things other people become addicted to easily but how uncommon is this?
    I have only known 3 or 4 people who smoke cigarettes without becoming addicted to it like me , and I hear from my mother that she also has high resistance to addictive substances including cocaine (which i was shocked by) I myself wont try to test the limits of my individual resistance to that degree...
    anyway i used to find it frustrating because I never could see eye to eye with people "feening for smokes" ect.. and i would go from chain smoker to cold turkey weekly.
    how many people have you heard of like that?

I also on the other hand have problems feeling addicted mentally to non-addictive substances like sushi and pop - non flavored even just fizzzz....
    which non of the people i know quite get how i feel that extent about those things but not about nicotine ect..

and i have a mental addiction to the feeling of being buzzed or high - not to individual ways of getting there. literally just the feeling. and the escape from my pain and thoughts.
    so while i had friends feening for specific drugs of choice , i would find every natural legal high out there and do it if it wouldn't straight out kill me or be too risky to get hooked on like heavy drugs.
    they would stoop to lows , I would steep some herbs lol - still an addiction and still risky at times but not the same why?

2. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

First of all, I do believe it's possible to not become addicted to cigarettes right away. Hell, I used to smoke on and off when I was 19, both cigarettes and cigars, and one pack would last me like a week and some weeks I didn't bother doing it at all. By about 20, I dropped it completely and didn't pick it back up until I was 22. THEN I became addicted. So, okay, that part of your post I do believe.

What I don't believe for a second is that your mother has supposedly high resistance to cocaine. First of all, if she means that in the sense that doing cocaine doesn't get her high, that's not possible, unless she's doing an extremely small amount...which I highly doubt, cause what the hell would be the point in that? If she means it in the sense that shes not addicted to it, that's also very unlikely. Let me ask you something, how long has she been using it and how often? And keep in mind that how often she says she does it, may not actually be the real situation. Addicts lie. Both to others and themselves.

Also, not trying to burst your bubble, here, but this - ''and i have a mental addiction to the feeling of being buzzed or high - not to individual ways of getting there. literally just the feeling. and the escape from my pain and thoughts...'' IS, in fact, called addiction. Nobody is really addicted to the individual ways of getting there, as you put it. Someone who snorts pills is not addicted to the actual snorting aspect of it, they are addicted to the feeling they get afterwards. A crack addict doesn't smoke crack because they like smoking in general, they do it for the rush they get from the crack. And I, myself, as a heroin addict, am not addicted to sticking a needle in myself. I'm addicted to the feeling I get from shooting up heroin.

Lastly, the legal highs you speak of, granted some of them are complete bullshit and don't even get you high, so thus, are practically impossible to get addicted to. But that's some, not all. There are quite a few legal highs that one can become addicted to, at least mentally. DXM, nitrous oxide, etc. You ask why they're not the same as illegal drugs, though...Well, in a way they are because, like I said, you can get mentally addicted to some of them. But also, in a way they're not because they don't have the same physically addictive properties that cause withdrawal when you stop using.

3. I have thought about this sort of thing a lot over the years, and I don't think that I have so far arrived at an accurate conclusion. That being said... I truly do believe that addiction is completely physical. That is to say that if one consumes a substance for a period of time their body will eventually become physically dependent on it. That is ,of course, if the substance does cause the human body to become physically dependent on it. Heroine and alcohol are addictive substances. I have struggled with alcohol addiction several times in my life - waking up with "the shakes" and I have also gone through hell to kick dope. Those are addictions. I also got a little carried away with snorting coke and smoking crack during 2006 and 2008, but I don't consider cocaine addictive. Mental addictions are simply cravings. There is no dependence involved. There may be the belief (in the mind of one who craves the substance) that one 'needs' the drug, but if the body were to do without the substance it would not function improperly. The so called "mental addiction" is an excuse of weak minded fools who use their desire for what they crave to justify the deeds they do to get a substance that they enjoy, and at that - probably too much. Nobody has ever been addicted to crack. Mental addiction is a farce. It's just a lack of discipline and lack of self control. I would talk more about this but I'm addicted to ranch Doritos, so I'm gunna go buy ten bags of those and grind them up and mix it with coffee... And smoke it.

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Crack/cocaine addiction is an addiction. When you put those drugs into your body, they cause certain changes in your brain. Its not just a sheer lack of willpower that causes people to seek those highs again and again. You said you struggled with heroin addiction. So, I bet you dollars to donuts that the reason you didnt continue using crack/coke is because your drug of choice was heroin and nothing else really sufficed besides heroin. I, too, am a heroin addict who also does crack. Every time I get high, I always get both heroin and crack from the same place, but the main thing I want is heroin because thats my drug of choice as well. So, if for some reason I went back and they didnt have any crack, I would still get the heroin, but wouldnt go out of my way to find the crack. If it was vice versa, however, and all I could find was crack, I would refuse to do it without a bag of dope to bring me down from it. That doesnt mean Im not addicted to crack. What it means is that heroin/opiates are my favorite kind of high, just like it is yours, and also that coming down from crack is a bitch and a half without a bag of dope. People who favor crack/cocaine highs above anything else though, are a completely different story. They WILL go out of their way to get crack every time.

There are several reasons for why crack/cocaine is addictive. It does cause withdrawal, albeit emotionally. The first thing I do when I get my drugs is a hit of crack. When I feel myself coming down from it, I shoot a bag of dope because I become one cranky motherfucker if I dont. Crack causes your blood pressure to go up, your heartbeat to increase, and a sense of euphoria which is your dopamine/nueropenephrine receptors running amok. When those effects go away, your body goes into a state of depression. It desperately tries to get your bodily functions back to normal again, but because the crack caused them to increase so much, your body thinks it needs to try extra hard to bring them down. So you end up feeling very pissed off and depressed. Thats not due to a lack of motivation or willpower, its from the lack of the drug in your body. Another reason is because people who do crack/cocaine in large amounts on a daily basis do build a tolerance. They need more and more to get that same high. Not to mention, their intense drug seeking behavior ruins their lives just like heroin addicts and alcoholics. This IS called addiction no matter how you look at it and its not based on some sort of psychological defectiveness in the person. Crack may not be your favorite high, which is why you stopped, but it is for some other people, and they cant.

5. jnick

jnick Well-Known Member

Not to mention that crack uses up so much of your brains dopamine and endorphins that you cannot physically reproduce it for some time; the only thing that will bring you out of that depression except time for your levels to normalize again is more crack. Hence the seeking mode you go into, the brain feels it is needed for survival. ID level brain function.

6. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Exactly. Thats what I was trying to explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.