Responses - Communication

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by brknsilence, Aug 27, 2016.

1. brknsilence

brknsilence Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I wish I had the magical words to be as supportive as possible, to communicate properly, to say things well...

I see how others respond and wish, "Why couldn't I come up with that?" or "Why couldn't I respond better."

I watch movies or tv shows and see how people communicate in real life - I feel disappointed that I can't hold a decent conversation.

Why can't I be like others in this way?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I feel this way all the time, it doesn't make you any less smart you just have trouble communicating as you said. I can talk much better here than IRL though. I cringe in real life, never know what to say and get my words all jumbled up :/ you're not alone x
    brknsilence likes this.
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I find writing something an awful lot easier than saying something, always. And I find it a lot easier if the person cannot see me (for example, I am a lot better on the phone than I am in real life). When it comes to being supportive, the biggest problem is (in my opinion) not knowing what the other person needs. I know that what I need when I need support is logic tempered by kindness. Other people need unconditional sympathy - others still need to be not spoken to at all and just know that the other person is there. You can only do what you can do - you can only be who you are. Don't be disappointed in yourself, because in the end you are in the minority of people who care which puts you streets ahead of all the people that don't give a crap. You might not have the "right words", but the fact that you try is worth a great deal to people.
  4. brknsilence

brknsilence Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :)

I hope one day, I will be better with words.