Resume troubles!

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems (New Forum)' started by Raiyan, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Raiyan

Raiyan Member

I've been having trouble finding employment lately and been wondering if someone here is able to help me with my resume, preferably someone from the general IT sector, or web hosting or customer service sector to be more specific. Thank you!

Hope this gets done fast, as I really am close to running out of money, have like $20 left but those $20 were given to me by my late teacher's parents when I went to her wake by cab.. I absolutely do not want to spend the money because I feel like they are the final gift or keepsake from my teacher who really inspired me to study, I in fact kept getting first place for her assignments, tests and examinations, with a 91/100 in the final exam of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed her lessons as well, she had a real good mix of strictness and softness, rewarded us with candies or snacks whenever we did well. I still remember her classic "Chop chop" which meant faster faster... She unfortunately passed away from cancer on April this year at the age of around 30. I miss her so much.

That's why yeah, it may seem dumb to some of you, however that $20 is absolutely important to me and I don't ever want to spend them.

Gosh, I got carried away.. Anyway yeah, I hope someone here will be able to help me out with my resume or employment, thanks.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

If you block out your personal details (your name, address, contact number, the name of your school etc) and attach a copy of your resume maybe people can take a look and give you some suggestions. Please make sure that you blur or black out any identifying information about yourself and just keep in what you are saying about your skills/personal qualities/experience etc.
    Raiyan likes this.
  3. mgo

mgo Member

I just read this! I work at a university helping students put their resume and information into the correct format. Don't follow things on the internet because about 99% of the templates are wrong. I would be more than happy to help you get it right if you would like.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Can you post what a correct template is supposed to look like
  5. mgo

mgo Member

I don't have an exact template -- I've also been having problems uploading a picture of the format I have for them. I'll try again tomorrow. It's almost 9pm my time
    Raiyan likes this.
  6. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

I am not a resume expert but worked in IT for 15 years. I helped hire a few people at my last job. I can give my opinion on the content rather than format for what it is worth. Like Freya said, be sure to hide your real info. Maybe make a copy of the resume and put 'Bogus School' 'Bogus Co.' 'Bogus Jones' etc on the one you share here.
    Raiyan likes this.
  7. Raiyan

Raiyan Member

The problem here is that if I don't use an online resume maker (which I have to pay for to download), I have little to no idea on how to edit or format the file. There is nothing useful to add in my education field as well as I only attended secondary school until age 17, didn't really learn any major or specific course at all. My skills were all self learnt online for 3 years and counting.
  8. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

There are plenty of sites with example resumes on them. I just look at those, pick one that I like, and make something similar in my document editing program. Open Office is a good free alternative to 'microsoft office'. There shouldn't be any need to use some payment-requiring online service. I think I have seen examples with no education section in them, which instead focus on work history or skills.
    electricalanomaly and Raiyan like this.
  9. electricalanomaly

electricalanomaly too sad to say hi.

Ryan, your a good person.