Retirement

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by RenoBill, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RenoBill

RenoBill Active Member

I've found that I'm not good at being retired. I retired about 5 years ago at age 50, and for a while enjoyed the freedom. That lasted six months, where I began to feel useless, aimless, and depressed. My solution was to go back to work. That seemed to solve my problem, got me connected with some good people where I work. I also got involved with some community groups and made a couple of friends who I enjoy, but only occasionally. I left my job last June with the intent of going to school part time and working toward a college degree. That was fun for the fall semester, then I realized that working toward a degree by itself was not making me happy. I did not enroll for the spring semester, and by the end of February, that old depressed feeling started setting in again. I wasn't happy with the way my life was going, not happy with the very few number of friends that I have, not happy with what I was doing. That made my digestive track go all out of whack, which merely added to my anxiety and depression. Well, I decided to go back to work, same place, part time. That feels good in that it keeps my busy on weekday mornings. But I still feel so aimless and empty. I keep asking myself, is this all there is? Why can't I connect with people and make some new friends? I'm quite introverted and prefer lots of alone time, but I do need some time with friends or other humans. I just don't know at this point what to do to go forward. I'm not immediately thinking of killing myself, but the thoughts have been there. If things don't improve down the road at some point, I may want to end it all. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm wondering if other folks, especially those of you who are retired, can relate to what I'm saying, and have any recommendations. Thanks!

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi Reno, and welcome...have you sought any professional support? Maybe there is an underlying depression and your MD can either refer you to a Pdoc or start you on the road re treatment. Are there other social avenues available, such as volunteering or taking adult ed classes that can give you other ways to meet people? Also, since you can make friends at work, maybe explore what it is about these people that are attractive to you and how you were able to initiate these relationships and work on that...thanks for sharing with us and welcome again

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I am 50. I own my own business so am not retired, but I work from home and make my own hours so it is similar. Don't you have hobbies and interests? I can't find enough time in the day to do all the things I'd like to do.

What I would recommend is summed up for you in one word: VOLUNTEER.
    Volunteer to help out youth groups, or at the local animal shelter, or with various community service organizations or non-profits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.