Revealing a Suicide Plan to a Professional

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Philalethes, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philalethes

Philalethes New Member

If I were to state that I plan, and have planned now for a quarter of a year, to do away with myself in about one months time, to a mental health professional or doctor (in the U.S.), what would happen? Would I be institutionalized? I'm currently not seeing anybody about my problems and am entirely untreated but I have been thinking about maybe making one final attempt at seeking help. I don't want to be sent to a mental hospital though, this would only hasten my plan.
  2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i done the same thing in the uk and i was sent to a mental hospital for analysis. the only thing that kept me out was by saying locking me up would not only cause me to find another hasty way to do it, but while theyre trying to get me in the room, im gonna fight back. they let me out only when i got picked up by my dad
  3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Revealing a definite plan could send you to a hospital. You can though reveal your suicidal feelings and not go. I hope you do seek help sounds like it may help.
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I can't speak for everywhere in the US, but where I am unless you are in immediate danger they do not forcibly place you there. Saying you have a plan and the means to act it out does not necessarily mean you will. Also, being hospitalized does not mean you need to be institutionalized. Go get the help you need. The thoughts and plans may change because of it. :hug:
  5. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

I have been asked if I had a plan, to which I answered 'yes', but when pressed, I refused to reveal what that plan was, in case I was put away.

I still have a plan which I have spent many years refining and there is no person on earth who I will tell it to.
  6. ive got differnt reactions when ive told perfesionals in the uk.

1) i have been told to tell them what it is exasactly i plan to do i either:
    a)tell them and then get put into hospital
    b) dont tell them and they say they cant do anything then.

2)Get told i can call them whenever i want to to talk about it (which is abit annoying because it doesnt really help)

i know hospital can be a scary place to be in but if you are feeling realy unsafe and do want help then it can be the only way to keep you safe for a short amount of time. it wont nesecarly mean you will have to be in there for months and i have made some life long friends whilst i have been in hospital so it isnt all that bad.

try and stay safe
    good luck
  7. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

If your in the states, then they can only committ you if your in danger of yourself at the time being. Meaning if you state your plan, they ask if you have a date, and you say "Yea next week" Then they could commit you.
    If the date is far away theres not much they can do, since your not currently in danger of yourself. They might ask you if you would like to voluntary go to a psych ward, but saying no won't mean they will force you to.

I once told my psych my full plan, and told him the date which was several months away. And he just asked me if I wanted to voluntary go to a hospital and I said "No I'll think about it though."
  8. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

The major take away here is that more than just being suicidal and having a plan will place you into a hospital. The assessment also includes what the method is (possibility of being lethal), whether you have a support system, and if the means is available. My first time in the hospital I did not have an exact plan. I did not even say I was about to kill myself. What did happen was that I did not firmly say I would not kill myself. Also, I do not have much of a support system beyond my therapist. If I had not voluntarily sign myself in, I would have been involuntarily placed in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.