Rich helping the poor

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Krem, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

I find it funny, in my dark, twisted way, that the rich people, whom are helping the poor, be they politicians, businesses, or entertainers, that they're not giving as much that they actually need to live by similar standards as the one they're helping. I mean, seeing interviews with people in fancy suits talking about how much they're doing to help the poor, but it's just not enough, more people need to help, while their suits alone could pay for a week's food for a medium-sized family. It just shows the stark reality of it- The poor, starving people of their own nation are nothing to them but a means of looking good, and getting publicity. I mean, who would dare say that a millionaire is donating 100.000 euros to help people? (Ignoring the fact that a single one of his dozen cars costs more than that)

You don't actually mean to help, unless you're willing to sacrifice, be it living with the same income as they(And donating excess funds), selling all your belonging and joining them (Regardless of how much that'd actually help), or simply not wearing clothes that are priced the same as a car.

But, nah, being celebrated as being a giving person is awesome, 'specially when it costs less than 1% of your money to be likened to saints. And after it's done, you're still living in more comfort than 99% of all people alive are living with. Fantastic.

Cynicism, I has it. <_<

2. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

Thank you Krem for sharing this. I feel the same way. Its been especially on my heart recently brought up by a testimony i heard about a month ago when a guy i know took a trip to Brazil. Met a boy who literally lives in a dump. (saw pics) He gave the boy a soccer ball, and in return asked from the boy a sling shot he had made himself. It disgusted me. In America at least when the rich help the poor its only cause its a tax write off. Gotta make themselves look better than they really are!

3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

The envy is so thick I could cut it with a knife :)

4. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

It's better than nothing.

5. betteroffunknown

I far from envy these shallow souls. Recently I was asked by someone in the judicial system if i had all the money in the world what would i do with it? You know what my answer was? BURN it! Destroy it all! I hate how people become because of it. Stock market crash of '29 i believe it was left people jumping to their deaths cause its truly the only thing that mattered to them. Ive personally suffered a great personal loss by others insane greed and desire for it. Lets just see how meaningful their lives would be w/o it. I'll tell you right now theyd jump too! Envious of that? I think NOT!

6. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true, people who work in the city seem so far disconnected from reality and humanity that it's embarrassing. Their mind works by idiotic logic, 'I earn more money than you, therefore I'm more successful, happier and a better person than you are.' They deserve our pity, certainly not envy.

p.s. Watch the apprentice and you'll know what I mean! :smile:

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Yes, that's not an unfair and ridiculous generalization for sure.

8. Issaccs

Stereotyping and generalisation about members of a different social class?
    God forbid such a thing happen Lovecraft.

Anyway, Im gonna go ahead and get it out my system.
    These people being complained about still probably do more too help via charity than you do.
    As for complaining its tax avoidance I could slap someone, my god they're helping people rather than pay taxes? What selfish abominations.

9. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

Ouch. You're completely right. Who knows, maybe I am envious after all. And I've been watching too much Apprentice. But on second thoughts, no-one likes a pedant, Terry. ;)

10. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I think you should be leary of anyone who proclaims they are giving money to charity. If you really want to help you won't feel the need to tell the world.

11. betteroffunknown

I couldnt agree with you more Mike! As far as the tax issue is concerned believe what you want. You will anyways! We obviously see this point very differently. Btw there are things far more valuable to give someone than the almighty dollar. Want to truly give give of yourself no pocket book required. Money truly is the root of all evil whether anyone wants to believe it or not.

12. Lovecraft

So instead of just accepting it's unfair to generalize the majority of the millions of people in a country you decided to continue the prejudice and assume I'm trying to feel superior because there's more people per square kilometre where I live.

I'm in a different social class simply because I live in a city rather than the suburbs or the country?

13. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

Cultural misinterpretation. 'In the city' over here specifically relates to bankers, stockbrokers - essentially anyone who works in the private financial sector, wears a suit and has lots of money. It has very little to do with where you live, I live 40 minutes from Westminister anyway.

A pedant is simply a word used to poke fun at anyone who pays close attention to detail, it's not necessarily a good or a bad thing. Did the extra people per square kilometre eat your sense of humour, Terry?

14. Issaccs

The sarcasm wasn't directed at you but at the "rich are keeping us down" stuff.

15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

OK. Some people inherit money and never have to work an honest day in their lives. What of the people who earned every penny of it by playing (more or less) by the rules? Why should they have to give their money away? Can someone please answer that? It's not their fault poor people are poor. Most poor people can thank their parents for the situation they're in. Others chose not to work hard and now they're living in the house they built from the ground up. Mind you I'm talking about people who are so poor they're basically homeless. There are some tragic stories. People who are so mentally ill they can't do anything productive and so forth and I do pity them. But I don't see how it's the rich man's fault.

You know. If it wasn't for this ignorant desire to punish people for being intelligent and successful, we would still have decent jobs in this country. You want to punish the people who own the businesses and then you expect them to give you a job and pay you a decent wage? Are you kidding? They're going to take the first exit ramp.

16. Lovecraft

10 out of 10 is a more generous gift then 100 out of 1000.

I certainly agree that there *should* be a wage gap, but I also believe in modulating the wage gap to something reasonable.

I also have some love for the statement 'From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs'

17. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Oh, heavens, no, I wasn't saying you SHOULD give it away. I personally am not going to give any of my money away. The problem I have is people proclaiming to be helping, only for their own image. I mean, if you're going to help, and actually putting forth a statement that you've a mission of making people's lives better etc., then the only honest thing you can do is, in my eyes, to help them to the point where you're not living in luxury which all of them combined could not afford.

Or just admitt that they don't actually give a fuck. But don't pretend you do if you don't.

And, no, I'm not some silly "money=bad" hippy. I personally would enjoy being a rich twat you never had to perform any real work, and I would be damned before giving that money away because people should be "equal". Survival of the fittest and all that.

18. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

Do the motives really matter though? Wouldn't you rather have £3000 given to the poor from someone who makes a big song-and-dance about it, rather than £300 from someone who quietly gives it with the goodness of their heart? The end really does justify the means in this case, when you think about how much of a difference money makes to impoverished people. It's the difference between life and death. As long as we send money somehow, it doesn't matter who gave it, or why they gave it.

And also, perish the thought that these rich people want people to think they're nice, kind and generous. What's wrong with that? We seek approval all the time in our lives. Underlying motives and little white lies make the world go round. You should read The Prince, still as relevant today as it was 500 years ago.

Regarding the whole business of them not giving enough money to put them on a level with the people they're helping, they don't really need to give anyone anything. And they have to be careful, if they spend too much money on a relatively small amount of poor people, they won't have enough left to spend on other poor people - so they have to choose their causes carefully and make sure they get value for money in terms of the number of people helped per buck. Though it's unlikely, if they drastically spend to become, say middle class, they won't be in a position to help anyone anymore. And of course, they are entitled to keep something for themselves, for their own comfort. Basically, it's their money, and if we call them out for being phoney, fake or trying to be a philanthropist, even though this may be true, we risk losing their valued donations to help vulnerable people.

You're very cynical for one so young, my dear boy. Are you sure you haven't descended into misanthropy? You've basically stuck two fingers up at the rich and the poor in one go, which is quite some achievement, actually. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  19. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Nah. I said I'm not a hippy, and I consider myself not that immature, so I don't hate humanity. I may have a distaste for most individuals, and a pessimistic view on our western society, but I don't pretend to care enough to be much bothered. :p
    But that's off-topic.

Yes, I can see your point. Obviously, on the receving end, you only care about how much you're getting, the giver's motives be damned. But I'm annoyed by the sincerety(?) of the giver. A person giving away all his 1000 euros has clearly more sympathy for a cause than an entity giving away only a fraction of their money, even if it's many times more. And that's the thing; they don't feel the loss of such a sum, and yet they're venerated far more than those who give so it hurts.

But, really, those who have such large amounts did not get them by giving it away, and those who need others to support them are, as they should, be grateful, and not resentful that the giver could give them way more, but instead buys another private jet.

20. fisch

fisch Well-Known Member

True, I get what you mean about them being venerated for giving, it's quite irritating. And I'm not a hippie either, in fact I voted Tory, though I used to have a leftie past. Basically, I'm at a stage now where I still believe that the poor need to be helped, but I don't blame rich folk for not helping, and I've developed a new-found resentment for big government and high taxation. And I've started to buy into the whole survival-of-the-fittest theory. I guess it's true what they say, you get more right-wing as you get older. I know that's off-topic too, but quite interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.