Richard III, remains confirmed.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by FrainBart, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

So, today a press conference was held in which the university of Leisester announced that through DNA testing a various other tests that the skeletal remains discovered in a council car park are indeed that or Richard III.

Link - http://news.sky.com/story/1047231/richard-iii-council-car-park-skeleton-is-king

I must say it is quite a fascinating find, however I am somewhat sceptical on the whole thing. If they are indeed the remains of a former king, then this is a remarkable find. However the thought that plays heavily on my mind is, what if they have just found some random remains in this car park hoping heavily upon it, pouring time, effort and money into this discovery... and find that it is not what they were looking for. Of course since its discovery back in september 2012 there has been a lot of focus upon this from certain groups, surely the University had some high hopes to fulfill. So could this really be the Kings remains, or are they just finding the means to an end upon the subject and providing the media with their catch of the day.

I do have some reasons for my doubt. Firstly the grave was shallow, and not too far from the surface, why had it not been discovered prior to a universities attempt, in which the remains were found upon the first day of a three week long excavation. Secondly, the feet were removed at a considerable time after burial, (of course no time frame provided AFAIK) I'm not too sure of people running around digging up an unmarked grave to remove deceased feet... if it was done at a far later date, then surely the discovery of feet should have prompted an interest into who lay there.

2. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

A great find, if it's real. Amazing they can trace the DNA to some guy in Canada.

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity."
    "But I know none, and therefore am no beast."

3. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Think I can help a little here as I come from Leicestershire. As a child I was told that the Greyfriars took the body and buried it. After the Reformation their church where the body was buried became derelict. Eventually a house was built on the site and the site of the king's grave was marked in the garden. That in it's turn deteriorated, was pulled down, built on. The exact site of the Greyfriars church was not known. Check it out on the RichardIII society website tho' cross reference to Leicester Uni website to filter for romanticism. Depending on when the feet were uncovered, if it was by a builder/ workman he could easily have not wanted the work to be delayed by archeologists descending. Latter is not uncommon in Europe. Have only addressed a few of your queries. Happy to help with others if websites don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.