right to say no to hospitalization

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by corang, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Alright so im getting my insurance back next month most likely and thats great but I still have a hospital bill coming and I had a question about being forced to go to the hospital. So I was feeling like shit and walked out of the house parents called the cops. I read a few people here refused to go to the hospital when an ambulance or cop said to go.

I wasnt going to kill myself why did I have to be stuck with a hospital bill? What do I say to not be forced to go is it as simple as "I know my rights I'm not going because Im not in immediate danger" or is it something more complex? I really wanna know so I dont waste more money on this bullshit if it happens again.
  2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

not sure what happens in NJ

on long island you don't really have a choice

apparently you can refuse medical care for every other physical issue, but if they even THINK that you MIGHT be a danger to yourself or others, refusal usually results in a call to the police, handcuffs (for your protection, of course) and a ride to the only mental health ER in the county.
  3. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Probably the same throughout the US maybe talking your way out of it doesnt work here. Looks like Im screwed and not gunna get out of paying them for a useless visit.

Thanks for the info even if its not what I hoped for lol.
  4. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

Here if you refuse to go into the hospital they cant make you go unless the mental health officer makes a visit and says you need to go. My moms a social worker and currently works at a mental health clinic. When patients end up in the emergency room or have the police called they can legally refuse to be admitted into the hospital if theres no mental health officers involved. The mental health officer has to sign saying they believe your in danger (or whatever their findings are) to have you put in hospital without your consent.
  5. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I guess Ill have to look up my state laws then. Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.