Risperdal (risperidone)

LostMyMind

It has helped me out a lot (I'm schizo-affective). Since taking it I am less suicidal and have next to no delusions. The only downside to this drug I would say is that it has given me sexual side effects. My libido is near non-existent, it is sometimes difficult to keep an erection and I can't ejaculate.

I was on risperdal for a year - it helped to stop voices but came with a lot of side effects. The bad thing about it though (and this may have been from one of the other anti-psychotics I was on, e.g. Thorazine) is that I had Parkinsonion side effects - trying to open doors or bottles, or doing pretty much any physical act required intense concentration and was extremely difficult.

Because risperdal is one of the early anti-psychotics I would recommend you ask your doctor about seroquel or zyprexa (those work for me now) to use instead - they are more modern and they have much less side effects - unless those have not worked for you you shouldn't be on risperdal, haldol or thorazine (the old anti-psychotics).

thanks for the replies, when i next see my phychiatrist i will ask him about the others, as i dont want a none existant sex drive, its barley there as it is. :(

LostMyMind,

Are you sure the hunger side effect is not from Zyprexa - Zyprexa inhibits the sense of fullness (because of it's leptin inhibition via norepinephrine and serotonin regulation - effectively blocking the leptin from triggering the brain to tell it your full from eating).

I may be wrong though - ripsperdal can rarely also cause weight gain/increased appetite according to the PDR.

the only side effect i got from risperdal is it made my prolactin levels in my body rise thus it brought my period to a stop. i have had one in six or seven months. i quit taking it hoping it would correct this, but it still hasn't. serequel turned me homicidal, and zyprexa made me gain 50lbs in two months. i still haven't been able to lose that weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00