Root cause of Suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by VLSI, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Member

Maybe understanding the root cause of suicidal feelings will help people avoid suicidal feelings. I have had them myself. My attempt was drinking a whole bottle of Gin hoping not to wake up the next day. I did wake up the next day feeling like shit, nastiest hangover of my life. That was 3 years ago.

I think feeling suicidal is not a decision one makes immediately, its a series of events that leads you to that point. I've narrowed it down to.

Hormones in the brain that make you feel good like dopamine. I mean think about it. Whenever you feel suicidal happens to be the same time
    everything seems to be going wrong in your life. You've just reached your limit, even though rationally speaking there's a way you could turn
    your situation around(except for terminal illness and disability). Everything we do on a daily basis is geared towards feeling good. The selection
    of food, friends, career, conversations. We normally want to do something which makes us happy whether consciously or subconsciously. I think if
    the level of that hormone becomes lower each time we go through a difficult situation depending on the magnitude of the situation then eventually
    you feel just shitty enough to end it all.

2. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

In some causes there's not always a rational way to turn things around

3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

My suicidal feelings didn't come as a result of anythng bad that happened in my life. I have a nice home, decent income and was happy, but something terrible has happened to my brain causing me to feel this way. I have no control over it. My mental torture never goes away. It's much more complex than simple depression. The professionals seem to think that it's Schizophrenia. All that I know is that it's really bad and it's all internal and not the result of anything bad that's happened in my life.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  4. kristellechou

kristellechou Well-Known Member

Doctors always say that - that's it's hormone thing. When I was first diagnosed, I was given zoloft and asked to eat a lot of bananas because, apparently, that's got the hormone I was short on. I don't know if my suicidal thoughts only ever occur when something bad has happened but I know for sure this time, it is. Oh, I also know that's it's never really gone away - it's just sometimes stronger than other times.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

@ kristellechou

I've never heard that one before. I am on zoloft too, I'm curious as to what effect the bananas would have and what hormone goes up when you eat them?

6. kristellechou

kristellechou Well-Known Member

serotonin, i was told

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Oh thanks hun :) Interesting. You learn something new everyday :)

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I do not believe there is one root cause of suicide or suicidal feelings. Sometimes it is a number of things building up for a long period of time, sometimes it is the roller coaster effect of feeling better and then worse so eventually the fear of feeling worse again makes it impossible to enjoy even good times, in many instances it is in fact a very impulsive act with a suicide in minutes or hours after a break up or loss of loved one or job or any other event traumatic to the individual where for that brief minutes it is more than they can cope with. The physical changes or alterations in hormones may explain parts of it, but it is so varied from one person to the next that I do not believe it can be opined that a single issue or hormone or chemical is the cause. Does not make the pain any less real though for the individual.

9. fosty

fosty Well-Known Member

the question I would ask is why does death seem so attractive when we live in a world that largely fears it? Tonight I want to be dead because life is gruelling and harsh and I have just been disappointed and made myself look stupid. So that's the pain of being alive, so I welcome death to take it away. And I've rarely had that joy from life, only from the want of death, so in my experience life is only the struggle, therefore death must be the blissful release. I still seek that joy in something. I don't believe in hell because hell is what I create for myself on earth. I think I look to be saved, for someone else to come and make me happy, but that will never work because I am always unhappy with and in myself.

10. agwoodliffe

agwoodliffe Active Member

The way I see it, what makes a person 'unsettled' to begin with is a problem with serotonin/dopamine.
    HOWEVER, what makes the person think of others and turn their anger inwards instead of outwards, is an excess of the stress hormone, cortisol.

Think of it like being the polar the opposite of a psychopath. They have zero feelings for other people, whilst suicidal people feel too much.

11. fosty

fosty Well-Known Member

When I'm suicidal my attention is turned inwards. I think only about myself. I am the center of the universe and other people are just other things to feel guilty about

12. VLSI

VLSI Member

@Bruces

I agree

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  13. VLSI

VLSI Member

@AAA3330

I'm sorry about your situation, I'm sure someone somewhere has made progress on how the brain works and someday in the future there will be answers.

14. VLSI

VLSI Member

@kristellechou

Similar to my situation. The feelings don't ever completely go away but some days are worse than others. Over analyzing minor situations gets really overwhelming for me. Something in my life changed to make me this way. It was not a sudden change just a series of events. As for hormones, I don't think all the research done up to now can provide clear answers. Most of it is assumption. Even doctors are wrong sometimes. Also what works for someone may not work for everybody else

15. VLSI

VLSI Member

@NYJmpMaster

This is true in some cases. It is also true that some people off themselves impulsively without showing any signs of depression. Mine is as a result of the roller coaster effect as you say. Sometimes I get very overwhelmed by the fear of living another day and making my life worse than it already is. My depression is a result of loss and a series of traumatizing events. Maybe the answer is to changing a situation like mine is building up a number of things that cancel out those events. I don't know, just maybe.

16. VLSI

VLSI Member

@agwoodliffe

Any way of reducing cortisol in the body? tired of being overwhelmed by thoughts.

17. VLSI

VLSI Member

@fosty

How about turning the attention towards other things? would that work for you?

18. VLSI

VLSI Member

@fosty

I believe we are not born suicidal. Think back to when you were a child. It's highly likely you were not depressed or worried. You didn't have anything to worry about. You didn't think of the world like the way you think of it now. As we get older we get overwhelmed by expectations. Those that we put on ourselves and those put on us by others. We begin to highlight the differences between ourselves and others. If we realize we aren't able to cope, we loose our will to live. It's a constant battle between the life we are living now and the life we feel we deserve to live.

19. mismad

mismad Active Member

Feel the same about that expectation. The more I expect, the more sick if I dont get the expectation.
    Then so much jealousy with one who get my expectation dream in reality.

20. fosty

fosty Well-Known Member

No, you have to believe in it for it to work. That only works if you can maintain that distance from yourself. I believe you have to be well yourself before you can be of use to others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.