Rubbish Health Care System

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Domo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I am so fucking mad right now, i need to rant.

Basically in Australia, you can get a mental health care plan through your doctor which means that you get a rebate back from medicare. So for example, when i see my psychologist, i might have to fork out $150 but then i'd get $80 back from medicare. So in the end i am actually only paying $70.

The thing is, they will only give youo 12 sessions in a calendar year. So when you go weekly like i do, this doesn't go very far.

Anyway to be honset i hadn't been paying attention and didn't realise my 12 sessions were up. Yesterday i get a call from my psychologist's receptionist saying that as i am now classed as a private patient, my fee will be $200 per session (and rememebr this is with no rebate). Who the fuck has that kind of spare money?

So i thought, fine, i'll look at private health insurance. Guess how much they give you back for that in a year...$300. Yep, i pay $60 a month (not even including the hospital cover i need to add on top of that - That would increase it to about $100) and i would get a total of $300 in return.

So basically i am screwed. I don't have a spare $800 a month...

I feel like finally i have been putting the effort into getting better, i am taking me meds, in therapy, and now what's it all for? I am screwed without her.

And not to mention that we have it good in comparison to a lot of other countries, how the hell do people who are not as well off as me cope?

It's rubbish.

And no i can't see another cheaper therapist. I have known her for 6 years and i was finally sticking with it this time (have been going for 18 months now). I can't try start a relationship like that again. She is perfect for me.

So a big fuck you to the governments who don't give a shit about mental health care.
  2. Things

Things Well-Known Member

The Health Care system has been screwing my family over for years. We live in Florida. :/

I know how you feel.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I know Domo it sucks i only get 10 sessions then i have to pay the rest myself
    Can you find a university that 3rd year students who are graduation give psychology care The fee there is minimal talk with your GP and get into some group therapy in your community that are free. It does suck your right most psychologist would let you stay on a sliding scale on how much you make talk to your psychologist let T know you cannot afford this much and see if the rates can be scaled to your income okay. take care