Running away to New York City

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by magic1, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magic1

magic1 Active Member

Well, after a lot of contemplating on where this should go (man I didnt know there were these many forum sections! thats good!) decided I'll put it here and mods will move it if it is necessary.
    I havent been on here for a while, but it kind of feels nice, even tough I never really had posted.
    Ok, to the point. I'm running away to New York city. I dont even live in the states. I have to ost this because my mom might come but I wanted to get this here. so ...yeah be back

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi Magic...hope your journey takes you to where you want to go, and hope you run TOWARDS yourself...big hugs, J

3. magic1

magic1 Active Member

thanks :} I really hope things will work out. But I need a bit of help since I'm not too familiar with it. I'm going to runaway from the Toys R Us most probably, at night. I'll sneak away when my mom and brother and sister and c go in and runaway...but where to?
    Who here is familiar with the streets of new york?

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hi magic, and welcome back.

you will have a hard time getting across the border without a passport, and especially as a minor.

did you ever call convenant house?

http://www.nineline.org/
    1-800-999-9999

they can help you get out of your current family situation without you having to run away. as a minor you are entitled to provincial support as you finish your schooling. you don't have to run away to get away from your parents. please make that call.

i lived in nyc for 11 years. in many ways it is a great city, but there are many people who are looking to take advantage of someone with no money, no work permit, and no experience. be very careful if you go, please? but really, i hope you will explore all of your other options before you make the decision to run. there are plenty of people who want to help.

5. magic1

magic1 Active Member

i cant call. I believe this is an open slot for me. i cant call because im afraid of my mother. but i need help not persiasion, please ?:eek:
    I'm GOING to new york with my family t my uncles house..wel with my sister on the train. i will already be there, all i have to do is runaway.

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my advice is do not do it, but if you are going to anyway take that phone number of covenant house with you. you can call from any phone in nyc or beyond. the organisation helps runaways and who knows when you want some help down the line. their number is also in the front of most phone books. if you end up in nyc, stay clear of the bus station (port authority) and the train station (grand central). they are not safe to hang out in, and definitely not safe to sleep in. do not try and sleep in central park, either. stay up all night, and keep moving, and then try and get a few hours sleep on the subway during the day. i will not pester you with questions on how you plan to support yourself once you get there, but be cautious. the public libraries are a good place to find resources like food kitchens and shelter, surf the internet, and relax for a few hours. be very careful, and i mean it. trust your instincts and your gut reaction and whatever you do, do not take up any offers of housing or work without letting someone know where you are and who you are going with. believe me, there are plenty of good new yorkers but there are also some bad apples just looking for young people to take advantage of.

please, please, please reconsider. as i said there are plenty of people who want to help you with your family situation. you can call from a payphone before you run, and see what they say. at this point, what do you have to lose?

7. magic1

magic1 Active Member

There are other alternatives, I know..but this one seems REAL to me. Do you know of any shelters in new york city? near Times Square I mean.

8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

9. magic1

magic1 Active Member

*sigh* I dont think I can go anyqhere near authorative places. They'll take me away. I'm going to be hiding. Is there any shelter or church near times square/

10. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

what do you expect to happen in Times Square?

11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

just write the address down and take it with you, okay? i don't want to sound too harsh but you are being incredibly naive (sp??) about what is going to happen. perhaps you have developed your ideas about what nyc is like from movies, tv and books. the reality will be very different.

you will need a safe place, and covenant house is that place. they do not "take you away" instead they provide 24/7 access to counselling, as well as a place to rest, to shower, and eat. they do not send you back to your parents, esp. if you have been abused. they will develop services and a plan based on what is best for you... not your family.

you are too young for homeless shelters (their policy is 18+ with proof of age), besides, there is often a waiting list for beds in city shelters. and the minute you show up without ID or papers they will show you to the door. the strong prey on the weak in NYC's shelters and you do NOT want to go there, under any circumstances.

there is library at 42nd and 5th avenue. go there and ask for community information. they will help direct you to local shelters and food banks. but without ID, or proof that you are eligible for services, you will not get far in terms of emergency housing or food.

12. magic1

magic1 Active Member

Thank you. I'm really nervous and I'll check it out. I need something that wont let the authorities know. something small and local? Thanks dude :)

13. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

hey, I'd offer a place if I still had one in the City. I'm upstate at the moment, but if you find yourself in a bind and can PM or something, I'll give my cell over that. I can't help over the week because of work, but over weekends def. Careful, NYC is the greatest place in the world to be lost. Don't loss yourself there or you really might not be found.

14. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new start. I hope it works out for you and that you get what you want out of NYC :)

15. magic1

magic1 Active Member

im leaving on sunday. i wasnt able to do it. dont think i should anymore. but couldve. i cant run away and be on the streets after all. its going to bring other problems instead of just wash away the ones i have.
    comment?
    or smoeone here PICK ME UP!

16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If you think that's what's best, then I am happy for you :hug:

If I'm ever in New York I'll pick you up :laugh: :biggrin:
    :heart:

17. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

I live in new york, maybe ill see ya :tongue:

I hope it all goes ok by the way. Just be careful. The city is a scary place. :unsure:

18. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Running away this way is not the answer. You mention being afraid of your mom. What are you afraid of? It would be more wise for you to seek help where you live. Is anyone aware of the things you fear? Do you have someone to speak with? There definitely are better choices than running. Please make sure whatever way you choose, safety is in place.

19. magic1

magic1 Active Member

im not exactly runnig awat, unless by some miracle someone wouldnt mind picking me up from here and allowing me to stay with them until i get enough money to get a tiny place-on rent of course. Thats my only hope. but i tried yesterday, in CHINA town, and i got away alright, but...i had no where to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.