Running

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by bleedingrage, Feb 26, 2015.

1. bleedingrage

bleedingrage Active Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it is. Im still trying to kick my opiate addiction by switching my addiction to running. Im currently running around 5-7miles every other day with a completion time of around 40-50 minutes. Was wondering if this is good? Also I have a bad habit of stopping around 3-5 times throughout the run at 10 second intervals, is that defeating the purpose of long distance running? I already feel my depression and lethargy fading but was wondering if there's ways to build on this momentum I'm gaining. And runners or joggers with insight? I'm not much of a fitness guru but I'm trying my best to do my part to correct my mistakes. So if there are any joggers or runners that I could talk to and ask questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Member

Mannnn, I envy you.

I was quite the fitness guru before I hit the slump I'm at now. I was doing fasted cardio(trying too), and hitting the gym every day to top off my nights with some more ab workouts. It fulfilled me.

As for advice, you're doing great despite the stoppage. My suggestion is, try to minimize your stops as much as possible. Practice breathing control, (in through the mouth, OUT THROUGH THE NOSE) in a very disciplined manner. It helps a lot. Not to mention, hydration. Do you take water with you on these runs?

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I just want to add that you should NOT breathe in through your mouth. Always inhale through your nose and exhale from your mouth. This is the proper way to breathe during exercise. Think of all the pollutants, allergens and germs youre breathing into your mouth that the nose filters out from getting to your lungs. Nose breathing also warms air before reaching your lungs, preventing growth of bacteria that cause pneumonia, for example, and other infectious microbes including fungus.

There is never a reason to breathe through your mouth unless your nose is severely congested or unable to be used, or your demand for oxygen is more than the nose can breathe in alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015