Russia turned off the gas to europe - how will it end?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Summer.Rain, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

So finally Russia turned of the gas to europe
    Soon (couple of months) Europe will run out of its gas savings
    and then what will happen?
    Is it the first step towards a war between Europe and Russia?
    Russia sure dosnt afraid of war, usa filled eastern europe with heavy protection equipment.
    From the events we had with Russia for the past half year we can see
    that Russia is really into war now...

2. lake1989

lake1989 Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think that russians would risk open war... They have too much to lose. Although, cutting of the gas was the best step they have done. Now we have economic war. Russia is just waiting for Europe's reaction. How we should react? I really don't know

3. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Russia needs to sell it's gas to europe for it's own economy to keep afloat. I don't see it lasting that long. Think it's more a case of muscle flexing. It shows though how for our own stability we need to look more into renewable sources of energy and cannot simply rely on using up the earth's resources to fuel our insatiable lifestyles. It really is about time we found a better way of doing things.

4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Fuckin' Nuclear.

5. snowraven

Sun, wind, wave etc. All the things that work with the planet rather than those that work against it.

6. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

but you do know that only the rich country's can do it right?
    what about the rest of the world?

7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Meh, they're not feasible, unless the technology is greatly improved they're green gimmicks and best.
    Hell' I read one report that most wind turbines cost more energyl to produce than they will ever create.
    Nuclear on the other hand works very well, using France as an example where 87% of the countries energy is nuclear and they still have enough to sell to their neighbors.
    And as for the planet, last time I checked the French arn't plauged with legions of three eyed fish and extra toes.

8. snowraven

I think these technologies have to be shared around the world as we need to realize the global nature of these problems. I know the way that things seem to get done doesn't bode well for this happening but have to hope that the world will come to it's senses over this.
    As for alternative forms of energy being just green gimmicks I have to disagree. Sure not everything works everywhere but there is a lot of evidence that used correctly and in the right place these technologies do work and work well. A lot of the reports that come out against them are often written by people with vested interests in keeping large multinational industries going. I think we are going to need as many sources of renewable energy as possible and many of these things can help.
    As for nuclear I think that if it could be 100% safe then it would be great but that until that is the case we need to be careful. The potential for such major disasters as could happen with nuclear are real and the industry doesn't have the best safety record. Most alternative technologies are in their infancy really so I see there is potential for better and newer ways of harnessing them and believe that this has to be the way forward. It clearly isn't going to happen overnight and until then I can see the advantages of nuclear. I just think we have to be very careful about it and that in the long run if we can develop technologies that don't carry such a high risk then that would be better.
    As for the French I was there this summer and no I didn't find the place inhabited by mutants. However there is plenty of evidence to show that the pollution we have caused has been detremental to many life forms around the planet. Just think we need to be careful about these things and a bit more aware of how we need to have a healthy sustainable world in which to live in.

9. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

100% agree, im currently doing a lot of research into "renewable energies" and they are nothing but gimmicks, lots of propoganda and a big money spinner, but not helping the planet in the slightest! wind turbines also use fossil fuels.....bet a lot of you didnt know that, they are powered be fossil fuels when there is no wind.....to keep up appearances!

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

ok you be god and decide what habitats we should destroy for the vast amounts of turbines that would be needed to even make a fraction of the power from a nuclear powerstation. invest in research on the disposal of nuclear waste (which has already come a bloody long way)
    Just look at the RSPB's "green" energy, they actually had their adverts removed cos it wasnt even green, just the label "green" plays on peoples conscience and is a big money maker

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/RENEW/costs.shtml

Natural gas is 1/3-1/2 the cost of wind generation... 10 years ago. Since then, the price of oil has gone up 4x.

Wind and hydroelectric power are very feasible. [Solar, naturally, is a pipe dream]

12. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Solar technology isn't really a pipe dream.

Solar technology is already down to a $1 per watt, and arguably cheaper then coal is. For large scale implementation, it's a pain in the ass, sure. However, put it in the hand of local government, and it can easily ease the needs for energy.

Hydroelectric is already perfected though, I will give you that. A lot of people think that hydroelectric can't be done, but we've been doing it for over a hundred years. I really like where it's going.

13. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

The problem lies with the Ukraine...the pipelines that carry gas to Europe run through the Ukraine who seem to have some problem paying their gas bill.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  14. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Brinksmanship is all...............or sabre rattling should you like.................

The Russian bear awakes and is shaking his renewed flanks. (Reference the bullying of the British council within Russia, Russia has a nearly fair point here mind Yeltsin was a humiliation for an entire populace and we the U.K. and allies supported the drunken fool for 'our' own fiscal and political gain).

Russia is brutal, always has been but is Putin niave enough to try and inflict gangsterism oligarchy and war on Western Europe? No.

Is he smart enough to rattle his not inconsiderable sabre to speed up private political negotiations we'll never be privy to while endearing his own population with his uncompromising and alpha male political stance?

Very likely I'd say. Just a thought mind.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.