S.e.d

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hache, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I have Selective Eating Disorder. I have just heard about what this is and I am glad their finally is something scientific and medical behind my problem instead of just being branded an extremely fussy eater.

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found this. Now you can create a program for you to follow to help you with it.

:hug:

3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

there is very little research in it unfortunately

4. Chargette

Is more research planned? If not, who can you pester? :)

5. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it, it sounds like me when I was younger before it turned into a full blown, life altering nightmare. What is it like for you? Does it effect how you live? Sorry if these questions are annoying, Just curious about it.

6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

well I only want to eat in the comfort of my own home.

In my first year of university I ate alone in my room.

It has made going on holiday a problem, mainly for those I am with. I cant eat anything but pizza and chips from restuarants.

I have avoided many social situations in the past. But when it comes to family meals, as in big family not close family, especially Christmas, it is an embarassing hell.

What will happen in the future, as I get older eating becomes a bigger social thing, I cant keep avoiding it.

Their is no cure but hypnosis seems to be prominent in those who have been successful.

I cannot afford that right now though, maybe in a few years when I have my own income.

People call it fussy eating, but it is to the extreme, if I tried certain things, put certain things in my mouth I would throw up or my body would start rejecting it and doing that choking thing dogs do to make themselves sick. Like one time when I had 1 spoonful of soup, the reaction was out of my control, it was horrible.

There is a difference between fussy and selective, i am mentally fucked up!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
  7. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

Have you tried therapy? I'm sorry you struggle so much with it. I hope you find the support you need here and in the outside world! It will take awhile, but I am sure you can get through this. Did anything trigger it? When did you become only limited to pizza and chips?

8. Chargette

9. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

nothing triggered it, you get it as a child, so if something did I cannot remember. All children are fussy eaters but mine became extreme and never went away.

It is only about 4 or 5 years ago I was actually able to have pizza.

I am not that keen on getting it fixed, that involves effort, opening up and going to someone

10. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

can you explain more what S.E.D. is? Because you said they compare it to "fussy eating" but what you describe sounds different....is it like extremely picky eating? or that you wont eat in front of other people?

11. someone uk

someone uk Well-Known Member

hi, i also have SED and i can understand how isolating it is,
    unfortunately the general opinion of most eating disorders are given an air of sympathy yet sed just gets ridiculed on programmes like the uk had a programme called freaky eaters

it is very rare

for non SED people the best way to describe it is that it's like your body declares 90% of food inedible so it reacts to you swallowing lets say an apple the same way as you would react if you swallowed grit

it can be socially isolating because if you went out with friends or maybe a date you would really dread them saying "lets go for an indian"

Hache are you honest about your SED or do you pretend you're not hungry?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2009
  12. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

I got this off of wikipedia:
    Sufferers of SED have an inability to eat certain foods based on texture or aroma. "Safe" foods may be limited to certain food types and even specific brands. In some cases, afflicted individuals will exclude whole food groups, such as fruits or vegetables.

How do you know if you have SED or are just picky? I was one of the pickiest eaters as a child, and even though I am a lot better than I used to be I am still extremely picky. My boyfriend is always saying how I wont eat anything, and that i should make a list of what i do like and not what i dont as that would be shorter :/

The texture thing makes me wonder because I hate mashed potatoes and I always hear that Im crazy for not liking them. Especially since apparently my dad makes the best mashed potatoes in the world, but i refuse to eat them. They're too mushy i cant eat it. And any meat thats a little chewy completely disgusts me, i'll spit it out and cant eat it. I also really hate trying new foods, that was a constant argument between me and my parents when i was growing up because i would never try anything new. Im like almost scared to.

Is this anything like what you experience? or am i just picky?

13. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

This is actually really interesting, I've never heard of it. I'm glad you posted about it. I can imagine it's a huge relief to learn that there is a reason for your eating habits, and that it's not just you or something like that. Hopefully now that you know you'll be able to work on it. :hug:

14. someone uk

someone uk Well-Known Member

"fussy eating" is SED, it's just not a big deal when your a child, it's usually accepted until you reach a certain age

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.