Salvia...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Anju, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone on here has actually heard of or done this drug. The full name has another word in it beginning with 'd' but I can't remember it...and wouldn't stand a chance of spelling it in a sleep deprived state anyway :tongue:

From what I hear it is basically a legal hallucinogen, I've been told that it's not addictive and that there's no health risks. I don't believe this since that really comes with the territory with drugs. My reason for asking is someone close to me has began to take it for fun recently and they suggested it to me as an alternative to weed (despite the fact that the effects sound rather different...). I don't see the point in taking drugs uninformed, it seems such a stupid thing to do to me and I told them this. So anyone got any details/experiences? Should I try to stop them from taking this? Fact is they're going to do drugs anyway so...lesser of two evils?:unsure:

2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Salvia divinorum. :smile:
    You're right, always get as much info as you can about anything you might want to try. Which means going to Erowid :biggrin:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia.shtml

From what I've tried, it can be used as a weed subsitute if you just smoke the leaves in a bong. The effects dont last as long and you need to keep it in your lungs for a longer time but it's nice and legal.

Other methods or smoking the stronger extracts can make you trip for around 30mins. I'm told it's one of the more intense ways to trip so maybe not a good thing to do without a sitter. I wouldnt know because the one time I tried it a different way, I blanked out and cant remember what happened. Which unfortunately happens when you take too much or are too sensitive to it.

3. amicrazy

amicrazy Well-Known Member

i love the stuff! the extracts will make you trip balls. the leaves are kinda like pot, but i definitely wouldn't recommend driving on it, or planning to accomplish anything. also, you get the munchies like a mofo after.

as for doing it with sitter, i would recommend it. not because you're in danger of hurting yourself, but because it wouldn't be fun to do when you're alone. i do prefer to trip one at a time though. i love watching tv and tripping; usually we designate one 30min tv show per person. that's enough to smoke it, trip, and try to explain what your trip was. my best trips have been while watching tv. i was talking to the southpark characters one time, they wanted me to get my friends and come with them to Marklar. i could talk about this drug foreverrr.

it is really strong so be careful. make sure you're in a good mindset before you try it. and do it sitting down :tongue:

4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I've done it a handfull of times, the leaf is strange, first time I tried I couldn't speak full sentances and feltthat gravity was shifting around me pulling me away from things and left me very giggly, a few times since with simular results but the last time I had something in the semblance of a bad trip, bearing in mind I was on a serious downer and when I took it my vision got darker and my skin felt like it was covering in needles and everythin was crushing in towards me.
    As with anypsycadelic, you need to be in the right frame of mind before you take it and make sure you have a sitter.

5. Jump

Jump Member

For me smoking the leaves doesnt do anything. Needed the concentrated stuff. I underestimated its effect the first time doing the 8x concentrated. Its intence. I thought I was a blade of grass for 30 seconds or so then you start come back to reality. Falling around on the floor usually happens with me. The trips last only a few minites but are very intence. An interesting drug but not exactly pleasurable, but im more of a stimulant drug lover. You cant chill for the night and take Salvia so its no substitute for weed.

6. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I must stress the fact that salvia is NOT an alternitave to cannabis. Salvia should only be used if you are looking to experience a profound exploration of the deepest parts of your mind that are impossible to experience in a sober state. the abuse of salvia and other hallucinagenic drugs can bring about an extremley traumatic and deppresing experience, at the peak of a salvia trip its not uncommon to forget who and what you are.

During the trip you dont just experience visuals or a sharpening of colours like with weed, your whole perspective of the universe can transform in a split second, things that you could never imagine yourself experiencing are thrown at you like a brick wall.

I know it sounds like a load of hippy nonsense because I thought that too when I was about to take it, I couldnt have been more wrong. Please if you are thinking of taking it make sure you are in a safe enviroment both physically and mentally, have people around you that you can trust. Prepare to feel things you never thought could happen in this universe, it isnt just going to be like getting stoned and laughing alot with friends. Hope this helps.

7. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

Ivan and anonymous51 were the only two informed posters in this thread. Don't try to stop them from doing it, nothing bad will happen. It is only a 1-3 minute 'mindfuck' with the extract and is NOTHING like pot. You get no visuals like most psychedelics. It simply makes you feel different. It's interesting, but not really that fun. It seems that you feel much more alert and optimistic after the experience is over for an hour or so. There doesn't seem to be much to worry about with it. I've done it countless times and have watched dozens of people do it with similar results.

8. amicrazy

amicrazy Well-Known Member

zetaf, are you fully informed on the subject? i thought everyone responded well to the thread. while the extract is nothing like pot, the leaves do give a buzz similar to pot. when you smoke the leaves you don't trip. salvia leaves and salvia leaf extract are the same drug that deliver very different effects.

if you're looking for a legal pot substitution, salvia leaves are not that bad.
    if you're looking to trip hard, smoke salvia extract (i recommend 10x; 5x is too weak and anything stronger than 10x is a waste of money)

you do not need a sitter for the leaves but you should have a sitter for the extract

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  9. Amber

Amber Active Member

I've done it countless times.

I got so high.. I cried because the high wouldnt go away. :blink:

It freaked me out.. my boyfriend looked like a big tomato face with moons orbiting him!! CRAZY! lol

10. ibetam

ibetam Well-Known Member

Salvia is a unique (as far as we know so far) drug, in lots and lots of ways. Most importantly it appears to be non-toxic and non-addictive for humans, wikipedia has links to the paperwork for some experiments on it's salvia divinorum page evidencing this. If you want to know more I would go to erowid, as JohnADreams has said, as well as wikipedia's links to their sources and www.sagewisdom.org another excellent resource. It's interested me enough, without scaring me at all, that I'm growing and processing it myself now. It's legal in the UK for the time being, but is fairly swiftly becoming illegal in some other countries (Austrialia, Denmark) and USA states (fifteen or so now). I would advise your friend that if they are to use salvia, it is not for recreational purposes as (judging from its intense effects) wanton use could prove disasterous. More research is greatly needed, hence my curiosity. I would too advise your friend to research the healthiest and safest possible method(s) for using salvia, but also some organic and general drug/drug mechanisms research to give a better understanding of the similarities of how drugs generally work in the body, again the internet provides an excellent source of knowledge to cross reference for reliability. Salvia can give way to some very life changing ways of thinking, or possibly the illusion of, it should be treated with great respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.