Samaritans- any good?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Woodsmoke, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

I think this is just for UK people- I can't phone because everyone would hear. But does anyone have any idea if these guys help? I've heard so many good things about the Samaritans helpline/organisation I just don't have the guts and I need to know if they really listen before I make a move. I'm thinking of going to my local branch soon. Maybe tomorrow. But I want to know more first.

I cut my left hand. I know I'm going really downhill when I cut in strange places, instead of just on my arm. I need help, but my next appointment with the doctor isn't for another 2 weeks and the counselling is taking forever to get sorted.

I need something now. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I can't tell if my meds are working or just pushing me through one more day.
  2. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I haven't tried them myself, but you need help and these guys will give that to you. You would at least be able to get all the crap off your chest and maybe even let them look at your hand to make sure it's ok.

I would go for it, you deserve all the help you can find hun. Take care :hug: xx
  3. NutJob

NutJob Member

Hi Woodsmoke

Sorry to hear you are finding life so difficult at present :( Speaking from personal experience, I think talking to the Samaritans might help. Sometimes, being able to have immediate access to a source of non-judgmental support who won't rush you as you're talking and actually wants to hear what you have to say can help to relieve the constant pressure for a bit. Alternatively, if you're not in the mood to talk, you can always e-mail them at: They aim to reply within 12 hours (and it usually doesn't take that long) I'd say give them a try, what have you got to lose?

I also noticed you comment you're not seeing your Dr for another couple of weeks. May I suggest calling the surgery to request a telephone call from your Dr, to let them know how bad you are feeling? I'm sure your Dr would rather you kept them up to date with how you're coping rather than trying to hold it together until you next see them.

Whatever course of action you take (if any) I really hope it helps you in some way - try to keep going (easier said than done, I know)

Thinking of you and sending lots of love and hugs x
  4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hi Woodsmoke,

I've emailed the Samaritans before when I was in crisis (no way I could actually speak to someone!), and they replied very quickly, with a sensitive and relatively helpful email. What I found really helpful though was being able to 'talk' to someone impartial and just let everything out for once without caring about the repercussions. For me, I found that their actually reply didn't really matter, except to confirm that someone had read my email.

I would recommend it; after all, it's what they're there for.

5. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

i found their email much better than when i went in,i was kind long waiting for email,but gave me something to wait around for,when i went to see them i felt wrong
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.