sameritins

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by whatif, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatif

whatif Well-Known Member

I wrote the samaritans it took them 16 hours to reply does any one here know much about them

2. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Sorry it took a while for them to reply, their email service is run completely by volunteers and is dependant entirely on people coming online to read the email. I can only imagine there must have been a lot of emails or not a lot of people available.

If you need a faster answer in future you could call them or post here maybe?

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Sounds about right.
    They put everything into phone calls so emails often take up to a day to answer.

4. whatif

whatif Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers I see why I post here but I do see them as a good way to vent via email

5. Xtina

Xtina New Member

I was in such a state last night that I calked them. They did not answer the phone. So I emailed them and like you got my reply late this afternoon, 15 or 16 hours later. I ended up taking an overdose of pain killers last night but sadly I woke up in the early hours with a migraine. I couldn't even get that right. Had someone answered the phone or replied sooner I may not have reached to that state though....

6. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

They have always answered the phone to me, I've called them quite a few times. Once they even called me back a couple of days later, to check on me, as I was in such a state at the time. I have no idea about emails though, never used that route.

Mostly they have been great, some of them are better than others, but they have always listened well. Some of them have been just great, can't thank them enough.

7. whatif

whatif Well-Known Member

I notice you say you call them I can't do that very easy I clam up to fast its easy for me to Erie I can see my thoughts as weird as that may sound

8. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

I understand about writing thoughts, down it can be good sometimes, i've vented on here to good effect. I don't usually have a problem talking, used to work in mental health listening to people, so I guess i'm just used to the idea.

I did find once I called, not really knowing what to say, just too depressed to speak. They asked questions and were patient, encouraging me to talk, this helped.

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I used to work for the Samaritans, first thing we were taught was to just listen, so if u can't speak at first they will understand.

10. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Try https://www.imalive.org/ - I just found out about it yesterday.

You can chat with a volunteer trained in crisis intervention 24/7.

I hope you find that helpful.

11. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

IMalive aint 24/7 just yet, but its their goal to be

12. whatif

whatif Well-Known Member

Thanks I will take a look

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.