sarcasm. a time and place for it

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by JayLee, Jan 5, 2009.

1. JayLee

JayLee Well-Known Member

I'm all for a bit of sarcasm here and there. However, I believe there's a time and place where it's appropriate. Perhaps something only to be appreciated between friends or people who actually speak to one another in terms where it's not ALL sarcasm. I for one don't appreciate it from somebody who I barely talk to and whom doesn't know me.

Why do people have to be so sarcastic here? I understand there is more than one meaning for some words, and some people take certain words to mean different things, but just because I'm talking about a different situation doesn't mean you have to be sarcastic about it. That's basically like calling me a dumbass. I don't need that, especially not here where I thought people were to be civil and supportive. If you don't want to be nice to me then just don't make any comments in my direction. Put me on ignore if need be.

okay? Thanks. :dry:

2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Yo JayLee.

I guess some people don't think along those lines. I'm sure though some people have never meant any offense.

3. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i just read your comments and then your signature. i understand your point but your signature kind of undoes what you said.

4. JayLee

JayLee Well-Known Member

True. I'm all for saying what you want and screw the world (so to say) but I doubt when that quote was made that it was made in a sense that would bring offense to others. There's sarcasm.. then there's intentionally mean sarcasm. Like someone's just saying "Ha. in your face dumbass" Rather than just a joke. It was like backdoor sarcasm. Sarcasm is usually funny.. but this, on the other hand, was more of a backdoor insult.

Sorry. I just wanted to rant because at the moment it bothered me. Just ignore me

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

It come's down to the intent of the person being sarcastic. I guess they might do it to have a dig at a person or because they do genuinely think it's funny or amusing.

6. JayLee

JayLee Well-Known Member

Yeah, well I think the person who set me off to write this thread did intend to bother me.. I'm over now. Just needed to vent cuz it kinda touched me the wrong way.

Thanks

7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

:hug: huni i'm sorry someone was like taht too you you can report them for it. here if you need me :hug: