Saving Myself From Myself

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Forgotten_Man, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

I look at threads in other forums, and can see I am my own worst enemy. However, I have no idea how to fix myself, aside from suicide. Has anyone been able to over come an obstacle like this before? What is the best way to do it?

2. toffeekitten

toffeekitten Well-Known Member

Im not sure about solving it but I am in the same situation! Its very difficult! can you try and investigate your reasons behind being your worst enemy...why you are? if you can do that it may help you to change your ideas so you can be easier on yourself!

3. Forgotten_Man

I have identified the problems that make me like this... I just Do not know how to solve them.

4. kdt

kdt Member

hi im a new member, ive surffered from depression for about 4 years and i can understand were your comming from... i make my life and my situation so much harder because of well what i do and think.

i dont know if you can relate but ive always been told sport makes people feel better about themself.

now id like to say i agree but honestly when i go for a run or whatever it just makes me think and that just makes it worse..
    what you have to do is find that 1 thing that makes you only focus on what your doing right then and right there.

running and swimming and all those regular sports i find you just let your mind do what it wants and your body just does whatever you set out to do automatically. you dont think about what your doing.

however if you find that one hobbie that makes you think about what you doing it means you arnt thinking about how your feeling for example ive found a few like i surf dive paint and shape surf boards. all of these for me means i have to focus on what im doing rather than how i feel

i dont know if this has helped you but thats what gets me thought it.

5. kdt

kdt Member

im sorry i just relized i didnt really answer what your were asking. what i was trying to get at is... i believe is you define who you are by what you do with your life. and you may say that your own enemy but if you find that one passion or hobbie in your life... you will find that your attitude will change to how you approch situations and people. this is just how i coped with me feeling i was stuffing my life up.

6. Forgotten_Man

@kdt: The problem is my hobbies are all indoor away from people hobbies. I play video games and watch anime... even then my depression is sucking away my love of thsoe. However, I understand I just need to focus on something else.

7. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Sure I see where you are coming from, I push people away and hide in my room a lot. I live and work with my housemate yet only see her to go to work!

Okay you enjoy video games kind of a dumb idea that I thought, how about xbox live or online games via the internet where you can talk to people while playing, you need to slowly build up your confidence with this. Then when you feel better how about googling local things in your area you could get involved with, I mean there is all sorts out there that could get you into small social circles to start with, even if it is volunteer work =)

8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Forgotten Man, I identify with you in that I have personality traits and habits I call my "fatal flaws" that definitely trigger or worsen my depressions and I have never been able to make much progress in changing them. I don't like or adapt well to change, I am terribly nostalgic and agonize over the passage of time, I am hypersentimental, hypersensitive and terribly socially phobic.

I have worked on these traits for years but they seem as unchangeable as my eye color- I'm screwed.

9. Forgotten_Man

Online games do not really work... everyone Just ignores the noob.. Plus my roommate insists on playing with me. So I cannot meet people plus no one is ever online from my area.

I know exactly what you mean.

10. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Jesus christ....this is me. Thanks for helping me sum up myself! That's like kind of surprising, I've never had the right words to put together :unsure:.

11. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

You will get therapy soon, but for now I think you should call the suicide hotline. You need the help of real people. You are stubborn to texts, sweetness.

12. Forgotten_Man

o_O Stubborn to texts?

13. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

we're not helping LOL

14. Forgotten_Man

Ah since I am posting on a forum all this talking is moot?

15. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

It is.
    But, honestly...
    you're still gonna make another thread again.:mhmm:

16. Forgotten_Man

:sad: yeah I know I need the crutch of this place because I am weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.