Saw something that's stopping me sleeping & more

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cie, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cie

cie Banned Member

Hi everyone,

About a month ago I was walking home at midnight, I entered my house and turned on the light and there on the wall was a really huge incredibly creepy millipede, and I do mean HUGE, but I don't want to describe him because it was the most horrible thing I've ever looked at. I'm normally terrified of insects and spiders, but this was on a whole new level. I didn't think anything like that even belonged in my country (New Zealand).

Every time at night if I get an itch I get terrified thinking it's on me, randomly at times I'll sense it near me and start panicking until I've looked all over the room, and when I drink something that isn't clear (eg coffee) I'll get weird random thoughts that it might be in my drink.

The odd thing about this is that the sensations I get from / after having seeing it are the same as when I hallucinate (I have schizophrenia) and I keep imagining that I see or hear it.

I really couldn't describe how terrifying it was seeing such a large disgusting monstrous insect and it wont let me be. I told my therapist the week after, but it wasn't until later on that it started ..haunting me like this.

It's 3am and I can't sleep :(

Thanks for reading.
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I think it may be one of those fears that goes away with time. The best thing to do right now though is to set your mind at ease. Put something over the top of your drink - like a drink coaster, or notebook - so you know with certainty there is nothing in there. Sleep with a thin blanket covering most of your face at night so you know it won't touch you. It won't anyway - and I'm sure you're sick of hearing that it's more scared of you - but peace of mind is what you need.

Are you on meds?
  3. Rkmnd

Rkmnd Member

I understand your fear, I dislike insects, and that would bother me abit. As snarry lover mentioned, simply do things that will make you feel more comfortable. Just "knowing" you're putting yourself in a better position will help you.

You can at least feel confidence in a few things though.....for one....this has only happened your ENTIRE life. I know that really doesn't help phobias, but essentially, odds are in your favor of never seeing one again.

Second....Sphaerotheriida, the species of millipede in New Zealand. Cannot bite, sting, or do ANYTHING....unlike most millipedes, it has no secreted poison, it is completely harmless according to what I read. I know that doesn't make it completely uncomfortable, but it helps. Good luck on your sleep!
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I know how you feel, I turned on my kitchen light last night and saw some disgusting hairy millipede by the light switch...I've seen them in my house before. I usually get creeped out when I see mice, and I have a lot of fears of insects and other small things, but they are mostly pretty harmless. Is there something you can distract yourself with? or maybe something that will help you sleep?
  5. cie

cie Banned Member

Lately my fear of insects has reached the point of insanity. It's 6am and I haven't slept because there was a small black bee in my room (which for the record do sting and are significantly more poisonous than regular bees). This place I'm in just has weird ins ects around and I hate it.

Yep I'm on meds; Aripiprozole and Buproprion.
  6. PJLane

PJLane Well-Known Member

I definetely feel your pain. A week ago a gigantic moth was trying to get into the house, it was so big, it was horrifying. The stuff of nightmares. I often can't sleep at night because it seems that's when most bugs and insects come out and run around. So if im awake at night even if it means i see them, at least i know they aren't on me. I often have to sleep with a night light or some form of light.

People always make fun of me for it, but it terrifies me. I often feel like i wont be able to survive in this world because of things like this. Right now I live with family so they sometimes take care of it for me by killing or getting rid of the bugs; cant imagine living on my own and dealing with it.

oh actually i read a tip the other day from someone that suggested releasing geckos or some bug eating lizard into the house / room. you will have geckos which are horrible but they will eat the insects.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.