Saying stupid things

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InnerStrength, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why exactly, but often stupid things just slip out of my mouth. Sometimes I'll contradict myself in a single sentence. It's annoying and lowers my self-esteem, especially when others point it out.

Does anyone else do this, on more than an occasional basis? I suppose depression doesn't help, it's hard to think logically during something like that.
  2. LonelyKid

LonelyKid Well-Known Member

I do that all the time. ALL THE TIME.
    Just when I think I couldn't look stupider I say something even stupider.
    Then I take a picture in my head and look back on it all the time remembering how stupid i was. I guess it happens to s lot of people.
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Actually, everyone does this sooner or later. Just not all at the same time. You may feel like it happens to you more often than anyone else but you can't follow them around everywhere they go and listen to everything they say forever.

They say people are usually their own worst critics and it's true. You will notice your own little blemishes far more than most other people will. Most people are not looking for your flaws. They're concerned about themselves and wondering if they're doing anything goofy.

Also, While it's certainly insensitive for others to point it out, sometimes they do it because they have low self esteem themselves and pointing out someone else's mistakes makes them feel better about themselves. Those who do notice are probably guilty of saying some silly things themselves. Either that or they're feeling foolish for some reason and trying to compensate for it by putting someone else down.

By the way, making mistakes is human. Society makes us feel like we have to be so perfect or that only flawed people make mistakes. The truth is that there are only flawed people in the world. Everyone has flaws. Everyone makes mistakes. Maybe you see them and maybe you don't but they're there.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  4. Smythe

Smythe Well-Known Member

I most often say nothing but stupid things, and if there's no one else
    around, I'll say stupid things to myself :p
  5. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

I also experience those unwanted moments where I either say something incredibly stupid, irrelevant, or just viewed as plain weird to other people, and I can't stand it. EVERY time when I am talking to someone or I'm with a group of people, I literally feel I'm walking on eggshells. No matter how careful I am with my words or no matter which direction I may head with when it comes to a subject, somehow, someway I make the mistake of letting my stupidity known, and honestly it doesn't take much effort for me to really gain that status anymore.

It got the point where I gave up even trying. I am just so tired of always hearing "you're wrong!!!" no matter what I say, while everyone else around me just has to be right, as vastly obscure as they make themselves out to be. I just end up always feeling like the odd one out no matter where I am or who I'm with.

When I try to pass on some life experience, common knowledge, mere facts, I always get a quizzical look, or the typical "you're wrong", "what are you talking about?", "you're weird", "what's the matter with you?"... but yeah... I am slowly learning now, I should just keep my mouth shut more often - it'll mean less grief for me in the end.
  6. Blackness

Blackness Guest

yeah alot of the time, just talking to people (other than fam friends) I cant talk properly, i stutter (which i dont normally do!)and dont know what to say.
  7. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Yep, all the time. I'll be having a conversation with a friend and simply just run out of words and leave an awkward silence hanging in the air. That or try to cover it up with something silly and make it even more awkward.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.