Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

I hate it when people tell me, "Don't let life get you down." Or, "Don't let the bastards get you down."

If I never let any adverse conditions get me down, wouldn't I be a fucking robot? Well, that's what this world is coming to. A total denial of feelings and a total embrace of the superficial and material. They want humans to act more like machines and machines to act more like humans.

H

HappyAZaClaM

I hate it when people tell me, "Don't let life get you down." Or, "Don't let the bastards get you down."

If I never let any adverse conditions get me down, wouldn't I be a fucking robot? Well, that's what this world is coming to. A total denial of feelings and a total embrace of the superficial and material. They want humans to act more like machines and machines to act more like humans.
oh, I don't know about all THAT. I thnk when people say stuff like thqatr
they mean well. but I do know what ya mean. tired cliches can be tiresome
by, the department of the redundancy department.

I think it's the best people know to say. most people are likely sqeamish
about saying "Look, life is a piece of shit. it always has been. it always
WILL be. meantime, what do YOU yourself want to do to make the whole
circus of freaks more tolerable and bearable for your OWN self?"

I think people assume that if a given person is in such a state that they
might need, or again people assume you might need some words of good
cheer, well then, people in general are going to fall back on the tried
and true "keep the chin up lad! stiff upper lip and all that rot. harumph!"

like I said, I understand the feeling of looking at them and thinking or
saying "what the hell is that?" they mean well. they don't know what
else to say. does any of that make sense?

pit

"Look, life is a piece of shit. it always has been. it always
WILL be. meantime, what do YOU yourself want to do to make the whole circus of freaks more tolerable and bearable for your OWN self?"

That's better, although I am running out of things that would make my life tolerable for myself.

Reki

I think the sayings are meant to convey more than just those few words. They say "Don't let life get you down" but the feeling I've always gotten from that was that they were telling me "I'd rather see you cheerful than sad so I want to say something to you to cheer you up. The world can be bad and it's okay to suffer but I hope you won't abandon hope and keep trying because it's never over until it's over and as long as you're still fighting the story goes on." That's a bit of a mouthful for a passing phrase though so you're just expected to make do with abbreviations. :)

There aren't any grand truths or existential epiphanies hidden in there, they don't expect it to be taken literally or for it to change your life, it's just a small way of showing someone that you care about them.

Maybe we, the suicidal community are better off without emotions. I've stopped caring about expectations and I really think I'm getting better. It's so much easier to make decitions that suit YOU in this state of mind.

Edit: maybe they're not the same?

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Yeah there are some sayings I can't stand as well, and you can tell that some people just throw them at you because they have nothing else to say. Well I'd rather hear nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00