Scale

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SmilePretty, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

When I was at school i didnt have a scale in my dorm. I didnt have a way of telling whether or not i was gaining or losing weight. Whether my eating habits and exercising habits had made me gain or lose weight.

Now that I am home, there is a scale in my bathroom

^^that sounds so rudimentary and dumb but it bothers me.

I weigh myself every time i see the scale. Before i get in the shower and after i get out.
    I am constantly monitoring how much i weigh...from the pounds to the ounces. I feel like this is the start of my anorexia coming back.

2. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

:( I hope it doesn't come back for you...

I was the same as you though. When i was at school i Didn't know my weight at all, but when I got home and had a scale it became obsessive. A year later I've managed to get down to only weighing myself once a day in the morning.. But I keep track of it all in a notebook...

3. kitanai

kitanai Well-Known Member

you can aford school but not a scale ?

4. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

well if you're living in a shared dorm room you might not be able to have one... it's not really a matter of being able to afford it or not...

5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Hey, hun... if you feel this will cause your anorexia to return (which it very well might, imo) then please do what you can to prevent it. Get rid of the scale if possible. I don't have my scale anymore (well, I do, but it's in my mother's room- for a reason) and I have no idea how much I weigh and I'm glad I don't because I know that if I knew my weight it would cause my eating disorder to come back. I know I'd obsess about it and that's what it sounds like is happening to you. You're obsessing about it.. but the good thing is you realize this and therefore you can stop the behavior before it gets out of control. So, please do what you know you should and get rid of the scale.. Idk if you're seeing a therapist or anyone for your ED, but if not, I really hope you get help for it. Take care of yourself, and I'm around if you need someone to talk to about it, feel free to PM me. Be safe. :hug:

6. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

I live with my mom, it's her's. i dont have a scale at school because i didnt buy one on purpose. my mom doesnt know much about my ED i dont want to bring it to her attention.

7. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I understand you not wanting to bring it up with her, but if you don't take the steps to change the situation, how do you expect it to change? You know it's a problem and is making your ED worse, so I hope you decide to help yourself. :hug:

8. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I guess I'm unique. My ED was worst when I didn't use my scale. But then, it wasn't exactly anorexia.

9. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

ah-- I hid the bathroom scale a couple of times; people keep putting it back though...
    I don't want anyone to worry further; but every time I use the washroom- I can't help but step on that frigging scale and frown. -___-
    When I was living on my own, I didn't buy a scale for the same reason, too. It's like torture ><

You can try hiding it, I suppose. It might work better for you if you have the same habit as I do and no one notices that it's gone, and leaves it alone?

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Throw it out?

I covered my wardrobe mirror when I had bad BDD (which was natural when I was that end of severe anorexia-mentally/physically) and it helped me so much. I then found I didn't use the scale as much.

Then again, if you're OCD immersed in weight-watching, I appreciate, that 'throw it out' might seem a stupid thing to be saying. But if you're not at that stage yet and there is an element of you're in control, then maybe it's about stopping/stemming something before it does get out of control and harder to manage?

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  11. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I know you don't want your mom to know, but it sounds like you have made such improvements, and we both know how excruciatingly difficult that can be. You don't have to tell her about the ED, but maybe ask her to move it to her room or something just because it makes you uncomfortable or something. That's not unreasonable and you won't have to tell her if you don't want to or aren't ready. Or maybe this would be a good opportunity to? Whatever you end up doing try to stay strong... You don't want to go back down that path. Feel free to PM me if you ever are struggling and want to talk more.

12. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I kind of had a similar problem for my overeating, when I was at school there was no scale, yet when I found my own place I got a scale and I found myself weighing myslef 15-20 times a day. Every medical professional I talked to said get rid of it which I did and it made me feel a lot better. I see your situation is a little tougher, I guess you could either get rid of the scale and hope no one brings it up (which would be unlikely) or calmly tell your mom you have a problem and it would be benefical if you got rid of the scale, she may push for a conversation and its up to you if you want to have that conversation or she can see that you are setting boundaries and just leave it alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.