Scar Pain Reduction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by BipolarGirl (Deathplease), Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do any of you have scars that will become painful after it has healed? I have overlapping scars and one really deep scar that needed stitches. These scars will be painful now and then (the current streak is two days that my scars have been hurting). I know that means I probably have nerve damage but what can I do about it? Ibuprofen doesn't touch the pain.
  2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

You need to break up the scar tissue. After an injury hard scar tissue forms to stableise the area. This scar tissue is not like the old flesh, it is really mixed up in every direction. To break it up, you need to massage it -hard-. Yes, it is going to hurt to massage it but in the long run it will reduce your pain, you can google for more info. Also acupuncture may help if it is really deep.
    5 people like this.
  3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I forgot to mention scar tissue becomes very hard after a few months, break it up ASAP
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Have you brought this issue up with your doctor? They might have some suggestions and be of benefit to your problems. I hope you get to the root of this issue!
  5. I haven't wanted to talk to my doc about it because I don't want to get the looks of pitty, concern, or judgement that I get by people that don't understand why anyone would self injure. Also I do know there isn't much they can do for nerve damage because my brother has had sugeries and has nerve damage that they can't do anything for.
  6. sofie

sofie Banned Member

Two of my scars hurt sometimes but it doesn't sound as difficult as yours. I massage/rub mine and that helps some. Surely your doctor has seen the scars, right? And you have talked to him/her about their origin??? Or does he/she not know about your past / about the scars?

Most of my own scars are very visible - on my left forearm -- so doctors broach that subject pretty quickly with me. I previously had a doctor who did just what you said -- that pity, "oh that's so sad" look but I quit her (for other reasons) and my current doctor was/is really cool about it. A couple months ago I even had to go to her about anxiety becoming a problem again and had to admit to her that I wanted to cut badly and she handled that amazingly -- I tell you all this because there are doctors out there that understand cutting and not on a pity level. I know I could ask my doctor about pain like you describe and she would do anything she could to help me.

What imarobot says about scar tissue, I can vouch for as well. I was in a bad car accident ten years ago and part of the physical therapy included the therapist massaging the healing scar to help it heal and lay flatter. I am prone to keloids, which are thickened scars basically, and massage is key to keeping that under control in the healing process. And, yes, the massage hurt especially at first and you could also FEEL the scar breaking down during it -- it was kind of weird.

Good luck -- I hope you can find a doctor who will help you with this is a supportive and encouraging way.
    2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.