Scared and unsure what to say..

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Avarice, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

So after many glasses of milk, a lot of pen clicking and much pacing around the flat, I finally plucked up the courage to pick up the phone and make a doctors appointment today about my depression and anxiety. Only now, I'm really really scared and unsure of what to say. I know from a previous thread I made a long time ago that people advised that I don't say things like, "I have..<insert condition here>" because doctors don't like that? But I'm just worried they'll miss it or think it's not as bad as it is when I go in.. You see I am 100% absolutely would-bet-my-life-on-it sure that I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. I've known it for two years now, and I'm worried that they're just going to think it's shyness or lack of confidence like they did last time I went to see them about it. I don't want them to think that I'm labelling myself or anything, but I really don't want them to miss it and misdiagnose/brush it off as something smaller than it really is.

I don't really know. I just don't know how to address the situation. My appointment is in two hours, and I'm going to write up some notes of things I should probably mention in case my mind goes blank. Hopefully they'll listen to me this time.
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Hi Avarice, how did your appointment go?

The thing with diagnosing is,t hat it is a lot more complicated then looking at the diagnostic criteria and saying 'yep, that me, spot on'. At the end of the day, the most important thing is to treat the symptoms, the label is really of not much consequence.

I imagine you will have some kind of ongoing treatment, and during this time, just express yourself as best as you can and work with your doctor.

All the best.
  3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Yea, how did it go? :)

Give us a heads up when you can, hope it went well :p
  4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I'm sorry no one replied sooner to you, how did your appointment go? did you say it to your doc? what was their responce?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.