scared as hell...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by awb4130578, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awb4130578

awb4130578 Member

has anyone been hospitalized before? my friends r taking me to the hospital tonight becuz i am suicidal. (read my recent posts on here if ya wanna know details...). im scared about what might/will 19. if the hospital keeps me what will happen? i dont want my parents to know about it and if they do admit me i dont want my dad coming there and trying to take me out of there and bring me back home. if he did that id get bitched at on the way home and at home and then im pretty sure id then get hit then then have my bedroom destroyed....
  2. hopeless

hopeless Well-Known Member

i've been hospitalized many times. it depends on where you are as to what the laws are. in florida they baker act you which basically means that you are required to stay in the hospital for a minimum of 3 days or 72 hours. if you are still suicidal then they keep you longer. if you are in georgia they keep you about the same time. if you are not in the states the laws could be a bit different.

no one can take you out of the hospital unless you are no longer suicidal. they figure even parents can't keep you safe if you intend to kill yourself.

don't be too scared it's not that bad. of course it depends on the hospital you go into. private hospitals are better and adolescent wards aren't as scary.

since you are 19 you will go into the adult ward. there will be a number of different people there will a lot of different problems. the psychiatrist (at least here in the USA) is required to do an assessment of you within 24 hours of admission.

after that depending on the hospital you will have at minimum group therapy every day. at best you will be put on a routine in which you have to get up and go to bed at the same time every day and eat at the same time every day.

as long as you cooperate and don't refuse your meds then you should be fine. they will keep you as long as you are suicidal. i've found that they don't really know anything you don't tell them so if you get tired of the place and really want to off yourself you can pretend to be okay and then go home and do what you need to do.

good luck and I hope you feel better.
  3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I have been in hospital twice now, both after suicide attempts. Although the stay didn't really do anything for me, I was safe. The staff there are usually guenuine and want to help. They can set you up with info about groups, resources and telephone #'s that will help you when you get out. Getting out depends on you. You can waste your time in hospital or you can take advantage of the helpful info you will get. It is sooo important for you though, that you find some kind of support group to attend once you are out. You can't continue to bottle up our feelings and fears. Being with others that are dealing with the same problems is a great help toward recovery or at least sanity. A lot like the peolpe here. Good luck and stay safe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.