Scared of going to Hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fire_inside

It's stupid... it's lame. I'm not really even religious. But I am scared of going to Hell if I kill myself.

I know it's probably just a bunch of crap. How could it possibly be true?

But I am so scared of taking that chance. My idea of hell is having to live this life for eternity. :D

It's so unfair. We don't get to choose if we are born or not, but then they scare us into believing we will go to hell if we kill ourselves.

It's a living nightmare....

ure right fire, if im still alive its cse of this idea that hell may probably exists, and if i commit a suicide its a sin. im religious, and the only way left for me is to wait a miracle from Jesus, well i shout each night b4 sleeping :"knock seek and the door will open to u" u said that Jesus, where re u???

R

reborn1961

If that is what keeps you alive then fine. But don't torture yourself about hell. If your religious then you can look deeper into your relationship with God and make peace with yourself. If you not religious then fill your head with all the science that says hell does not exsist. Hopefully either way you will find what you need to stay alive. I wish you well.

Kaysha

Antiquitie's Friend
Hi,

The fear of hell in the past has certainly stopped me from committing suicide.. or thwarted any attempts. I was brought up in a Christian Household and feared Hell for as long as I remember (and also pretty much feared God for as long as I remember).

The worst thing is that it is hard to fight that kind of belief of damnation- even if small. I have rejected the premise a thousand times but it still edges its way back into my thinking, and before I know it, I am damned again.

I have said in the past that it does not matter if I live or die, because this life is hell on earth anyway. BUT I usually say that with a bit more bravado than I feel.

Sometimes I think it is our perception of God. That he will not understand and he will send us to an eternal life of pain. More recently though I have been wondering whether "God" is a lot bigger and more complex than we can ever comprehend. I think he might be bigger than the "box" he gets put into by "religion" (and I mean any religion). I have started to wonder whether God just may be intelligent enough and compassionate to understand our pain- whoever this "God" person is. I am certainly not giving you any guarantees about the afterlife (If I had them and they were all warm and fuzzy I would probably not be here). But sometimes I get a really small amount of comfort that who God is - is beyond any religion (including those who damn you to hell at the push of a button) and might just be around. What he is exactly doing I have no idea. But maybe if he is bigger that we can understand, then he has plans we cannot understand. Mind you, I also understand that this can also be a source of intense frustration... WHY so difficult?

I understand the trap you feel in - and by writing the above I am certainly not saying I am totally convinced that suicide is the best way of starting the afterlife. Maybe what "they" say is true.... but even if it is, I am not sure it is helpful to dwell on it. The more I get angry - even enraged - by the feeling of being trapped, the more I seem to end up feeling wrecked. "No way out" has a whole new meaning" ... A source of great frustration for me is that we are not going to know until we "get there" so to speak. And I will echo you comment, how fair is that?

I know this is a lot of rambling but this is an issue close to my heart and remains a struggle for myself. :blink:

Kind regards,

Kaysha.

Only take the risk if you are in hell right now as you live. The fact that you are worried about going to hell means that you haven't yet reached hell in life so I don't think you should commit suicide.

R

reborn1961

Only take the risk if you are in hell right now as you live. The fact that you are worried about going to hell means that you haven't yet reached hell in life so I don't think you should commit suicide.
That is really a profound statement and makes sense. Wish I could apply it to myself. Good post.

Kaysha

Antiquitie's Friend
The only problem with that statement, is that in my head, in Hell (after death) there would be no possibility of suicide.. No out of any kind whatsoever. That's how I distinguish "hell in life" as opposed to "hell after death".

I do acknowledge though that things can get so unbearable that one ends up deciding to end in without care of consequences.

Kaysha.

flclempire

isnt christian hell supposed to be temporary? wouldnt that be a way out? the uhhh wuts it called.....arg i cant remember wut the act's name is...

You are in hell right now, I don't belive in hell, and I belive all people who believe in going to hell when they die are stupid. You just think that your loved ones are going to hell. Once you are gone you are gone.

Esmeralda

You're talking about Purgatory, which is really only a Catholic belief, not a Christian one in general. Purgatory is temporary, but Hell is permanent. According to Catholicism, you go to Purgatory if you have only venial sins on your soul (small sins that do not result in the complete rejection of God's love). If you have a mortal sin on your soul (murder, suicide, stealing, covetousness, etc.) then you go to Hell according to Catholicism, and Hell is permanent.

V

Valis16

I like how religion presents all this as a sort of accounting process. Must be a big tickertape machine they count up all your sins on.

This was always a big concern of mine as well.

Recently I have become agnostic (for those out of the know, it basically means I don't believe in God necessarily but I also am not an atheist because it is impossible to prove one way or the other of "His" existance). Agnosticism has many subcategories such as agnostic atheist, and although I wouldn't categorize myself as that, I am definitely leaning more and more towards the whole he doesn't really exist thing. Mainly because of my knowledge of evolution, science, the way the world works, and pure freaking logic.

Annnyywayyyy. I grew up believing general Christian principles and even though I don't believe in Heaven and Hell, the thought that it in fact MAY possibly exist definitely is a huge factor in not committing suicide. It sucks becuase as another person mentioned, it's so hard to get rid of an idea like this when you've grown up with it.

It would be so amazingly nice to just say, hey... if I die, I'll just be a corpse lying in the dirt somewhere. And that will be the end of my consciousness as my brain is no longer functioning. I will feel nothing. Everything will be over. I won't have to deal with day to day shit anymore. Nothing. Yeah... I might make some other people that love me sad, which I would feel pretty bad about becuase I love them too. BUT... I would be dead! So I wouldn't feel anything. That's such a comforting thought. But alas, there is no way to know for certain one way or the other if God and all that hoo-ah exists.

I just have a problem believing that we would go to Hell for killing ourselves for a few reasons. It's like the whole we're supposed to believe in God through blind faith instead of physical proof because that proves we TRULY love him. Then why did he make so many of us curious, not trusting, yadda yadda... basically making us work AGAINST our basic nature? No. Religious folks will say, well that's the point, to make you WORK to love him, so you're not just believing it because you know it exists, but you're actively loving him and seeking him out. Well what the fuck? Did I ask to be born and have to WORK my whole life against my basic nature? Fuck no! And why would he damn us to Hell if he LOOOVES us SOOO much. If He loved us that much, then he would fucking be here every day helping us out and letting us know we're protected, because he knows that it's hard to be here. Don't you THINK that if we KNEW he existed there would be less violence etc? They would know for certain they would get seriously reprimanded and therefore wouldn't do it. Anyway I could go on forever on how God made us a certain way yet the Bible wants us to work against ourselves, but that's basically my point. Why give some of us so many hardships and some of us the predisposition to be depressed and want to die, if in fact we act on our basic nature we will be damned to Hell? It just doesn't make sense. Especially because he loves us so damn much. You know who I think God loves? Himself.:mad:

So yes, it sucks big time because if I knew that I wouldn't be punished for killing myself, well hot damn, where's the shotgun?!

Kaysha

Antiquitie's Friend
I'm right there with you Tink..

You did not mention the real gem: that God loves us so much that he doesn't show up - that way we have a CHOICE (evidently its what separates humanity from the rest of the animal kingdom). I refer back to what you said in that if God really loved us he would make the choice clear - I could sit with him on the sofa and get REAL HELP for the life he has so "kindly" predestined me to. If he was, legitimately available in some CLEAR DETECTABLE sense to each person the world would be a much better place. I mean there would still be choice - I mean according to the Bible Lucifer knew for sure God existed and chose otherwise...

As I have put in a previous post, I would like to believe in a God of compassion .. one far beyond the limitations of this world's religions so I could die and know (assuming God exists) that I would not be headed straight for hell.

How much choice is there really when the only thing between me and death is a lingering fear of God from my childhood upbringings. Where's the FREE will in that??

Kaysha.

V

Valis16

I think what separates the animal kingdom from "Gawd's Chosen Folks" is that the animals don't murder, opress, pollute, hate, or wage genocide; like Christians, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists have been doing for centuries.

Esmeralda

You say that if God was here with us every day that there would be no more killing, violence, dispair, etc. Well, if you read the Bible, God WAS physically present amongst the Jews throughout the entire time they wandered through the desert. He fed them so they wouldn't starve and was actually visible in the form of a pillar of fire so they could all see Him wherever they went. Do you know what happened? The Jews rejected Him anyway, complained about the food they were given and took to worshipping false idols. Why would it be any different for us today? It wouldn't.

BTW, if you are looking for links on scientific reasons for the existence of God, check this out:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8449/bang.html

InnerStrength

I've often had the irrational fear of going to hell when I die. I mean the "already in hell" statement really doesn't matter too much to me. regardless of what we may think, it could be a lot worse.

Cluster

hell is a religous idea that was developed by the christian church to scare people, and then create more power. I'm not saying it doesnt exist, but nobody knows what happens after youre dead. I was brought up as a christian but i always doubted the idea of hell as I thought about how you could say something is right or wrong when considering the human mental state. maybe you should look up some stuff about it before deciding whether or not it exists. :)

Stylez

I'm not very religious so I don't believe you go to hell if you commit suicide. However I do believe that everybody is here to learn something (be it love, compassion, or empathy) and I also believe if you kill yourself you're not giving yourself a chance to learn.

I'm right there with you Tink..

You did not mention the real gem: that God loves us so much that he doesn't show up - that way we have a CHOICE (evidently its what separates humanity from the rest of the animal kingdom). I refer back to what you said in that if God really loved us he would make the choice clear - I could sit with him on the sofa and get REAL HELP for the life he has so "kindly" predestined me to. If he was, legitimately available in some CLEAR DETECTABLE sense to each person the world would be a much better place. I mean there would still be choice - I mean according to the Bible Lucifer knew for sure God existed and chose otherwise...

As I have put in a previous post, I would like to believe in a God of compassion .. one far beyond the limitations of this world's religions so I could die and know (assuming God exists) that I would not be headed straight for hell.

How much choice is there really when the only thing between me and death is a lingering fear of God from my childhood upbringings. Where's the FREE will in that??

Kaysha.

Oh yes, definitely agree with you also. It's so complicated and annoying to think about becuase it's such a crap shoot. We're basically screwed - we will never know anything until we die (and maybe even then we won't know because our conscience will cease) or mr. God decides to show up "again." I like what you said about free will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00