Scared to be totally honest @ the mental health facility

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by topper, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topper

topper Well-Known Member

I've had lots of suicidal thoughts/ideation in the past couple months. I've weighed methods, and settled on one. I've researched materials and feel confident I could obtain them.

Whether I'd ever have the audacity to carry it out is questionable. I have not made any attempts or planned to.

I know I need to be totally honest so they can properly diagnose me, but I'm afraid if I tell them all that I'll be forced into a hospital. Afraid that could cause me to lose my job, or reputation as "not crazy". My frazzled brain is always living in the future of "what ifs".

Any encouragement/advice is welcome.

2. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

If you don't wanna be hospitalized just don't tell them you're planning on hurting yourself any time soon. Just say "I have a plan, I'm very suicidal but I don't have any intentions of carrying it out in the immediate future". Probs won't hospitalize you.

They only hospitalize you if you're an immediate danger to yourself or others.

3. georgeo10yal

georgeo10yal Well-Known Member

the worst they can do is put you in a home because of your depression if your in the US then your gotta be careful what you say to the person cause they can and will lock you up in a mental home it happened to me before and the homes are not fun...the best scenario is that you go to the hospital for help for a couple days and then you go home and do whatever...if you don't wanna go anywhere at all be extremely careful of what you say like I said the US is not good towards someone who's different...good luck with what you want to do

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Be honest okay ask them for help to get well hugs

5. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

It's normal to be scared but the best way to get help is to be honest with the people most in position to give it you. This would allow you to build your support network. I had very positive results to be committed even if at the time I was ashamed by it and saw it as a disaster. It literally saved my life. The journey to recovery started there. A diagnostic of mental illness can come with a certain amount of prejudices, but the benefits of having the situation in the open far outweigh it. Enjoying life again is no small potatoes.

6. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

What I have done is a little at a time. I can then gage how people react to things I say. Although I am sure that this is not the best method. I was told if I am not honest then I can't be helped. So I suppose if you want help then be honest. If you have not got a plan as in when but you have thought about it it is ok. I have said numerous times it is all I think about but I have not set a date. Because there is no definite plan then you should be ok.

x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.