Scared

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by sadcat, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

Well I finally got the vaccine for shingles.
    Took me more than a year to convince my family doctor that I was able to get it.
    Went to a distant pharmacy (only one that had the vaccine) and they refused me the first day, saying " they needed to check with the manufacturer and my doctor before giving me the vaccine. That was when it was like 95 degF out - and I went home without the vaccine that afternoon.
    The pharmacy calle dthat night an said they could give it to me.
    So I went the next day in the heat again, and the pharmacist that day - said he was about to talk to my doctor.
    Wow - I got upset and told him "I did not care what my doctor said - he already gave me the prescription".
    Then the pharmacist asked why I had come there to day . wow - pissed me off so bad - so I told him " I didn't come to visit" and that the other pharmacist had told me, " to come in and that I can have the vaccine" .
    So the pharmacist said it has to defrost for about 15 minutes - and asked me if I would stay. Wow - again !! totally lost it - and I repeated" I just came in to visit" .
    I think if he had said one more negative word - I would have demanded he give me back the prescription.
    Took me 15 minutes of rubbing water all over my head to settle down again.

So I got the injection finally.
    Went home and thought about how difficult it had been.
    Then I remembered I really do not know if I ever had chicken pox as a kid. wow - wouldn't that be awful. Asked a few about that - and was told i might get chicken pox if i never had it before. Ha ha- wouldn't that be awful !

I got the vaccine , because I am afraid of more pain - I already have enough for an army.
    A number of doctors told me that I was at grat risk of getting shingles.

I am already very depressed - I have been hurting for quite a while from a spinal stenosis flare up.
    I have been breaking down and crying at random times now for weeks.
    And I feel angry at everything - just too much pain now.
    And the threat that my pain will increase soon by a hundred fold - is not a fun thought.

Please no negative comments.

SadCat

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Oh nooo, I hope you don't end up with chicken pox. :hug: I'm sorry your day seemed to go from bad to worse, and you had people making it more difficult. Hope you can take some time to try and relax now.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Just in case, get in some calamine lotion; that will help with the itching and remember'; shingles would be ten times worse than the chicken pox.
    Hope it doesn't come to that, but you might be like me, I got 3 spots.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That is a terrible way to be treated, I would be very annoyed and frustrated too!! Hope you don't get chicken pox too, good luck :hug:

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am ao sorry you were treated badly by 2 pharmacists. why do they have to call your doctor when you have a prescription? I see so many ads on TV about shingles vaccine. I thought it would be a common thing these days. I will send out lots of positive energy that you do not get chicken pox. :hug:

6. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

HI

In answer to Flowers" question - why did they give me so much difficulty.

It was because I answered yes to a bunch of questions on their form - and even one yes could be enough to rule me out from being elegible to receive the vaccine.
    I answered yes to the following 1. do you have allergies to medicines, 2. do you have any long term health problems - yes heart failure asthma, 3. do you have cancer, do you take cortisone, prednisone, anti-cancer meds, or have you had radiation - yes to all of them, and 4. have you had any immune or anti viral drugs in the past year - yes - flu, and pneumonia. ..., and anti-biotics (4 times)....
    Thought the pharmacist would punch me in the face when she read it initially...

But again - I came to the pharmacy with a prescription from my doctor signed that day.

And it got pretty touchy when they did come back after talking to the manufacturer of the vaccine - and asked when i had radiation and when I had taken the steroids and what anti-cancer meds, etc. They had specific durations as cut-offs.

Well - I did get the vaccine, and it has been two days and my arm hurts and is all red - but I am still standing and breathing so far.

However, this stress , added to all of my other stresses - has put me over my capability - am breaking down crying almost every hour now. Had only been breaking down crying, about two or three times a day before. Almost everything is making me break down crying now - this is getting bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.